The Cloud Engineer will provide analysis, recommendations, deployment, and support for current and future cloud-based initiatives. Migrate applications, platforms, and infrastructure from on-premise to cloud services. Lead efforts to migrate storage and compute infrastructure to the cloud. Assist departments with planning and implementing various data analysis systems in the cloud. The cloud engineer will support evaluating and integrating cloud-based software used by the organization, particularly involving integrating single-sign-on. The engineer is also responsible for ensuring cloud security, cloud monitoring, and disaster recoverability of cloud deployments.
location: Washington, Washington, D.C.
job type: Contract
salary: $85 - 90 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
- Plan and execute medium and large-scale migrations of storage, compute and server systems from private infrastructure to public cloud platforms
- Supports and maintains enterprise, and other applications, including transitioning applications from test to their production environment.
- Implement single-sign-on and other required cloud integration.
- Assist in creating cost-benefit estimates comparing total-cost-of-ownership of on-premise vs. cloud migration solutions
- Keeps documentation for audit response support, and presents some documentation for auditors with the guidance of the security team and systems operations manager.
- Troubleshoot the performance of cloud-based systems and ensure proper security and backup procedures are followed for these systems.
- Managing cloud environments in accordance with company security guidelines
- Work with monitoring tools; manage access and permissions; script and automate where possible; maintain appropriate configurations; provide recommendations on system improvements.
- Responsible for network scheduled jobs and maintenance calendar events.
- Participate in planning, implementation, and growth of the infrastructure on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Gov Cloud.
- Work with the larger design team to develop a full Hybrid Cloud Solution.
- Manage full application stacks from the OS through custom applications using Amazon cloud-based computing environments.
- Work closely with the architect and engineers to design networks, systems, and storage environment that effectively reflect business needs, security requirements, and service level requirements.
- Manage a continuous integration/continuous deployment methodology for the server-based technologies.
- Work with engineering and architecture teams to design and implement scalable software services.
- Work with the architecture team to design and implement a cloud management solution to potentially span multiple CSP and private clouds.
Type of Experience
- Bachelor Degree and/or relevant technical training with no preferred certification.
- Eight (8) to Ten (10) years of directly related experience.
- Three (3) to Four (4) years of operational and/or technical experience.
- Experience in systems administration in a mature environment.
- Broad experience in developing and implementing cloud migrating solutions in AWS.
- Experience securing cloud environments
- Sophisticated understanding of ports, protocols, and routing and switching in a firewalled, wide area network.
- Strong proficiency in AWS services such as S3, EC2, Glacier, Snowball, and RDS
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Jenkins, Maven, GitHub, Ansible, Puppet, Cucumber in a cloud environment.
- Experience with Linux and Windows Server system administration.
- Experience with installing and configuring application servers such as WebLogic, JBoss and Tomcat.
- Ability to create and utilize AWS Cloud Formation templates to automate creation of AWS images.
- Proficient in developing scripts and scripting languages.
- A team player capable of high performance, flexibility in a dynamic working environment and the ability to lead.
- Skill and ability to train others on technical and procedural topics.
- Experience with deploying, testing, and managing enterprise applications in a Cloud environment
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.