Director of Data Architecture
We are looking for a savvy Director of Data Architecture to help us build a single source of truth for all relevant internal and external data that's fully connected and version controlled. The ideal candidate has successfully led a team and is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys
optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The candidate will collaborate with our software developers, database architects, and data scientists on projects ranging from ad hoc research to deploying and monitoring production machine learning models.
location: New York, New York
job type: Permanent
salary: $200,000 - 250,000 per year
work hours: 9am to 5pm
The hire will be responsible for building and leading the data architecture team in DMD, expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of re-designing our company's data architecture to support our next generation of internal and external products, production machine learning, and other data-driven initiatives.
- Build and lead a team of data engineers and develop, implement, and influence best practices within your team.
- Code at least 80% of the time. This is a leadership role with management requirements. The ideal candidate will be excited by the opportunity to set the vision and achieve more with the resources of a team while simultaneously being a strong individual contributor.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS-based big data technologies.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Combine numerous internal and external sources to assemble large, complex data sets that meet a broad range of business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements including automating manual processes, optimizing data flows, and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency, and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders, including the Executive, Product, Data, and Finance teams, to understand requirements and business impact and support related data infrastructures.
- 7+ years of experience as Data Architect (Data Engineer, Software Engineer or similar) with substantial leadership experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Engineering or related field.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines and architectures that incorporate a large variety of data sets.
- Experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata dependency, and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, performing root cause analysis and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills; previous experience in building a team is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with teammates in a highly collaborative environment and simultaneously be a self-starter with strong individual contributions.
skills: - Building and maintaining large relational SQL databases
- Writing production-level code in Python.
- A data pipeline and workflow management tool (Airflow, Luigi, etc.)
- Experience using some of the following software/tools is highly desired:
- Big data tools: Spark (preferred), Hadoop, Kafka, etc.
- AWS-based cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Snowflake, Redshift, etc.
- Stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.