Senior Database Engineer Job Description Title:
Database Engineer Reports to:
Team Lead / Manager Direct Reports:
St Louis, MO Description:
The Senior Database Engineer
will be member of the Global Database Engineering team, whose responsibilities include design and maintenance of database infrastructure and customer environments as part of a managed hosting solution. Daily responsibilities include managing incidents, requests, changes, problems for our customers in their Sybase, Oracle and MaxDB Environments. He or she will also be responsible for installation, implementing high availability database environments, trouble tickets and troubleshooting of highly critical production environment with 99.99% uptime. He or she will also be involved in database performance tuning, implementing backup solutions and capacity planning. This position requires the candidate to have Secret clearance and requires night shift (10pm-7am) and weekend support. Position Requirements:
- Possess analytical troubleshooting skills combined with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be organized, motivated, and able to work under pressure
- Possess a 'can do' attitude, Proactive and energetic
- Always adhere to Operations Center processes and procedures.
- Provide good communication with customers throughout incident/change/project lifecycle
- Keep management abreast of issues and escalations
- Customer satisfaction surveys produce positive responses
- Ability to handle on-call and after-hour work schedule independently.
- Documenting the support procedure, change requests
- Quick learner and Self-starter - can quickly learn different features/technologies that customers need in their env without much supervision.
Required skills: Sybase
- Ability to participate and resolve support cases independently
- Escalate to the relevant engineering teams or vendors as required, promptly following procedures and ensuring management is updated accordingly
- Ensure following the company's process to update clients through tools provided.
- Plan, review, approve and execute client change requests on time as requested by customers, account teams, and management
- Review and action open cases daily, updating Operations management on current cases and their status as appropriate
- Create weekly reports as requested by manager and/or Customer.
- Provide comprehensive handovers to global peers/customer DBAs at the end of shift
- Continuous automation of day to day tasks through scripting.
- Pro-active and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
- Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis and predicting future database resource requirements.
- Installation of Sybase ASE, Sybase IQ and SQL Anywhere environments
- Installation, configuration, upgrade and maintenance of Sybase Replication server environment and well versed in troubleshooting the table level replication along with the Warm Standby Setup & MSA replication.
- Migration/Upgrade of Sybase dataserver from 12.5 to 15.5/7,16.x, Sybase IQ (15.x,16.x),Sybase replication (12.5.x, 15.x)
- ESD patching of Sybase dataservers
- Very well versed with Backup and Recovery concepts and Point in time recovery.
- Well versed in troubleshooting and performance tuning of databases
- Schedule/adjust the weekly maintenance of databases viz dbcc/reorg/update statistics as per the requirements.
- Forecasting of capacity for Sybase dataservers
- Prepare & coordinate BCP plan with all the stakeholders
- Build automation tools using shell scripts and Perl programming to reduce manual implementation
- Understanding of various 3rd party database monitoring and administration tools
- Knowledge of SQL Anywhere and Mobilink on Windows is a plus.
- 7+ years of experience in Oracle Database Administration/support in Oracle RDBMS 18c, 12c, 11g in production environment
- In-depth knowledge of database internals, data structures and system views
- Experience in Oracle RMAN features and should be able to recover in case of disaster
- Hands on RAC experience in 12c with ASM storage
- Experience in setting up Dataguard environment with failover or switchover exercise
- Experience in Performance tuning. Should be able to narrow down the cause of performance bottlenecks using various tools like OEM, AWR, ADDM, ASH, SQL profiles etc
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Setting up and maintaining SAP MaxDB databases.
- Setting up and maintaining MS SQL server databases.
- Intermediate RedHat/Linux or Solaris Administration experience.
- Proficient in AWS or Azure or any public cloud environment
- Knowledge of any replication tools, e.g. Streams, GoldenGate, Shareplex etc
- DB certification like OCP in 12c or 11g
- Sybase DB administration certification
- Database Migration using various strategies between different version and OS to cloud
- Good Project management skills
- Oracle and Sybase professional qualifications or equivalent proven experience in a technical support role
- 7+ years' of experience in Database Administration and engineering with a troubleshooting role.
location: Chesterfield, Missouri
job type: Contract
salary: $55 - 66 per hour
work hours: 10pm to 7am
education: No Degree Required
The Senior Database Engineer
will be member of the Global Database Engineering team, whose responsibilities include design and maintenance of database infrastructure and customer environments as part of a managed hosting solution. Daily responsibilities include managing incidents, requests, changes, problems for our customers in their Sybase, Oracle and MaxDB Environments. He or she will also be responsible for installation, implementing high availability database environments, trouble tickets and troubleshooting of highly critical production environment with 99.99% uptime. He or she will also be involved in database performance tuning, implementing backup solutions and capacity planning.
The essential functions of this role include:
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 7 years of experience
- Education: No Degree Required
- Sybase (5 years of experience is required)
- Oracle DB (5 years of experience is required)
- Cloud, AWS OR AZURE (2 years of experience is required)
- being Secret Security Clearance Certified
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.