job summary: Summary:
- The primary objective of the Sr Postgres Database Administrator (DBA) is to develop and maintain the corporate Postgres and Oracle databases ensuring data integrity, security, retention, and recoverability of the data.
- In this role, the DBA will design, build, test, and deploy quality database solutions that are consistent with project objectives, technology architecture standards and departmental best practices.
- The DBA will design and implement database strategies, administer enterprise-wide data architecture, implement complex data structures, and provide daily management of corporate databases.
- The DBA will create and administer all database objects from design to deployment utilizing subject matter expertise to design or re-use, configure, and implement database solutions/processes that maximize system availability, efficiency, effectiveness, integrity, recoverability, and supportability.
location: Franklin, Tennessee
job type: Contract
salary: $49.88 - 62.34 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
education: No Degree Required
responsibilities: Primary Responsibilities:
- All aspects of database administration including installation, configuration, upgrades, patching, migration, capacity planning, performance tuning, backup and recovery
- Proficiency with network troubleshooting tools and techniques
- Responsible for evaluating patch releases from Postgres and patching requests from development, and communicating constraints, issues, and timelines for deployment
- Change management including maintenance of multiple development, test, QA, and production environments. Responsible for deploying approved changes to production 24x7 rotational on-call support, including driving Root Cause Analysis (RCA), preventative action follow-through, and participation in weekly operations reviews
- Proactive database monitoring and issue resolution
- Database and PL/SQL and PL/pgSQL optimization including performance tuning, query optimization and supportability; experience with Oracle 11g/12c and Postgres 11
- Actively participate and contribute to projects involving enterprise systems enhancements
- Participate in project design and Oracle database design decisions. Refine and troubleshoot the design
- Create and maintain appropriate documentation about the database and the data architecture
- Regular proactive capacity planning and tending reviews of all oracle databases. Producing weekly, monthly management reports
- Project Estimation process - including attending project kick-offs and design reviews as necessary to appropriately size new environments, recommend infrastructure solutions and deliver associated cost and resource effort estimates
- Develop and implement Database security policies and procedures, in line with corporate objectives
- Must have 7-8 years Oracle and Postgres DBA working experience supporting databases used for data warehousing and OLAP/Analytics, direct data warehouse experience with Postgres strongly preferred (Oracle data warehouse experience is helpful)
- ETL experience in a data warehouse
- Knowledgeable on best practices for set based processing, etc.
- Well versed on Data warehouse vs. OLTP loading
- Experienced with tuning and efficient use of transactions
- Understanding of Postgres 11 new features and their impact on analytic queries and/or ETL processing
- JIT Compilation
- Parallel hash joins
- Expert knowledge on creating/debugging/tuning PL/SQL and PL/pgSQL Procedures
- Parallel query functionality and tuning
- Partitioning and inheritance
- Deep understanding of Postgres specific transaction and commit processing of tuples, how transactions affect dead rows and bloats, and the usage of vacuums
- Postgres server configurations, OS (kernel parameters, etc.), storage tuning and troubleshooting
- FDWs (Oracle, Postgres specifically, including troubleshooting)
- Strong understanding of PL/pgSQL programming language
- Understanding of indexing options in Postgres and when to use which type
- upgrade experience between major versions
- Database backups of large volume databases
- Ability to work on many tasks simultaneously in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Understanding of High Availability and Disaster Recovery requirements and solutions.
Not Required, but Preferred:
- Desire to learn and support other platforms
- Experience in data modeling.
- Understanding of or experience supporting J2EE application.
- Understanding of or experience with virtual environments.
- Goldengate, SQL Server 2008/2012/2014, MongoDB
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience in a related technical discipline.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.