Engineers, procures material, and oversees implementation of various wired and wireless communications networks and systems. Job Related Experience:
Minimum Level: 3-5 years Preferred Level: 6-10 years Education:
Preferred Level: Bachelor's Degree (BS) Preferred Majors:
- Engineering - Electronics Engineering
- Engineering - Electrical Engineering
location: ATLANTA, Georgia
job type: Permanent
salary: $90,000 - 120,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 4pm
- Provides estimates for communications work to be performed by C&S and other departments. Writes bid specifications for work to be performed, evaluates competing bids, and works with contract services to award bids. Works with Labor Relations to assure work to be done is consistent with existing labor contracts. Oversees field forces and outside contractors to assure construction of facilities is done to engineered specifications. Works with Real Estate Department to secure land and tower leases where needed. Works with state and local jurisdiction to secure building and zoning permits or provide proper notice showing the railroads exemption in certain cases. Oversees all activities to assure projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Works with Signals, Design & Construction, Mechanical, Intermodal, IT, and other NS departments to design and implement communications systems for new and remodeled buildings, new and expanded Intermodal and car ramp facilities, yard facilities, and other railroad structures as required.
- Protects communications plant. Reviews all railroad sponsored and third party track crossings and right of way work to assure communications plant is protected at all times. Engineers solutions to protect, restore, and permit continued operations of communications equipment and outside plant. Works with County, State, and Federal departments as well as private entities and various contractors to protect, restore, and assure continued operation of communications network and systems during construction projects.
- Designs, specifies and orders equipment, and oversees implementation of Wi-Fi Systems, Video Camera Systems, marine radio systems, UHF systems(EOT & RCL), 900 MHz Data Radio systems.
- Works with others to assure all FCC and FAA guidelines are adhered to for all communications installations. Oversees Interference resolution of all types of RF systems.
- Responsible for formulating estimates, writing bid specifications, evaluating vendors, processing bills, and overall project management of communications related installs
- Responsible for outside plant installations including fiber and copper cable, communications towers, and leased circuits. Determine best practices and guidelines for outside plant installations and assure field personnel adhere to the guidelines and standards set forth by communication engineering.
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
- communications engineer (5 years of experience is required)
- UHF systems (2 years of experience is required)
- RF systems (3 years of experience is required)
- Electrical Engineering (5 years of experience is required)
- Visio (2 years of experience is required)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.