The Network Engineer is responsible for activities related to the analysis, design, installation, configuration, maintenance, security, and repair of the enterprise-wide LAN, WAN, wireless, and network security infrastructure. The Network Engineer will maintain network availability, reliability, and performance that conform to business requirements. The Network Engineer also provides direction, information, and recommendations to implement solutions based on business requirements. The position requires technical knowledge and experience in monitoring, security, and maintenance of an enterprise network environment.
location: Bethesda, Maryland
job type: Permanent
salary: $75,000 - 90,000 per year
work hours: 9am to 5pm
responsibilities: What you will be doing:
The education and experience we're looking for:
- Ensure high network availability while meeting or exceeding Service Level Agreements (SLA) through continuous monitoring and preventive maintenance.
- Manage assigned projects for all network and security infrastructure changes to the environment.
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval, and success of changes introduced to the network infrastructure.
- Provide escalated, highly complex technical support to staff and peers by investigating and resolving network-related matters of significance.
- Apply advanced methods, theories, and research techniques in the investigation and solution of complex network requirements and problems.
- Analyze, recommend, and evaluate new hardware, software, and communications products for network compatibility and applicability.
- Interface with vendors to learn about new data communications technologies and system upgrades.
- Assist departmental management with development of systems standards, short- and long-term goals, project management, and strategic direction.
- Assist with maintaining of disaster recovery environment for critical business applications to support company business continuity plan.
- Participate in on-call rotation for network systems and infrastructure.
- Maintain thorough understanding of new developments and techniques in information technology.
- Develop and maintain a library of technical documentation.
- Communicate and problem-solve daily with teammates, clients, vendors, and other stakeholders, often in combination with travel
- Other skills related to building a career in Information & Technology!
What skills you should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field or equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- 3+ years relevant experience in network engineering including hands-on responsibilities for enterprise environments with 500 or more employees.
- 3+ years experience installing, configuring, and supporting Cisco firewalls, switches, and routers.
- 2+ years experience applying and maintaining network security controls.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification required.
- Information technology certifications such as MCP, ITIL, VCP desirable.
- Ability to manage complex technical projects to stay within budget, on schedule, and deliver successful project outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization's workforce while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment, perform under stress and adapt when confronted with emergency situations.
- Ability to resolve complex problems using analytical skills, technical expertise, or research and deliver innovative cost-effective solutions.
- Ability to interface well with technical and non-technical personnel, including executive management.
- Must possess a high degree of integrity and trust, along with the ability to work independently.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate highly technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to develop and maintain technical documentation including diagrams, procedures, and configuration management documents.
- strong customer service skills with a focus on delivering the best possible outcome for the business and all customers.
- Ability to manage time well with changing priorities to meet or exceed customer and management expectations.
- strong business acumen and focus in daily activities, with an attention to detail.
- Knowledge and application of best practices of ITIL framework.
- This position periodically requires extended hours outside of normal business hours to support service issues, emergency or maintenance tasks, and projects.
- Must be able to travel occasionally.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move equipment up to 60 lbs.
- Ability to show ownership of your work, take on challenges and acknowledge growth opportunities, and demonstrate patience when learning new processes
- Courtesy, respect, and thoughtfulness in teaming with colleagues and other stakeholders
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors (required)
- Network Engineer
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.