The Lab IT Engineer is responsible for providing services to the lab computing environment which demands uninterrupted service in a state-of-the-art biomedical research center. These services and projects vary from building specialized computing platforms, implementing new technologies, coordinating and configuring lab systems to meet scientific workflows and hands on troubleshooting at the lab bench. We have an exciting opportunity for a multi-talented individual who will specifically work on migrating specialized lab computing platforms from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This will involve installing and configuring scientific applications, and hands on troubleshooting at the lab bench.
location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
job type: Contract
salary: $30 - 35 per hour
work hours: 8am to 4pm
The Lab IT Systems Engineer will report directly to the Lab IT Services Site Lead. This role will work within EUS in IT and scientific community and will be an individual contributor.
Major Accountabilities / Key Performance Indicators
Ideal Background / Capabilities
- Upgrade existing Win 7 Lab PCs and workstations to Win 10, integrate the hardware, install and configure the scientific software and ensure communication to the attached Lab instrument.
- Migrate existing data, methods and configurations from the Win 7 system to the Win 10 system and ensuring no loss of files or data.
- Provide technical expertise for the planning of system migration requirements related to vendor supplied software packages/instrumentation systems and software compatibility with Win 10.
- Create, track and close service tickets while delivering an excellent customer service experience with professionalism and confidence
- Consult with various vendors and customer levels to devise new and improved solutions that will streamline and/or expedite the delivery of improved laboratory research and its supporting business applications/processes
- Adheres to client IT Compliance Standards (IGM), including Pandemic Preparedness, security patching and incident response
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline, computer science, engineering or equivalent direct hands on experience migrating Lab systems from Win 7 to Win 10
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills and experience supporting non standard software and hardware
- More than 3 year experience with hands on troubleshooting and support for Windows (Win7/Win10)
- Experience working with chromatography instruments (Empower, Chemstation, Chromeleon), plate readers, mass specs, liquid handlers, gene sequencers, purification systems, imaging instruments (Aperio, InCells, microscopes, Biacore, etc)
- Windows security patch management and security vulnerability remediation
- Experience working with endpoint management software such as Altiris and Symantec
- Preferred experience in Biotech or Biopharma as it relates to scientific instrumentation/vendors, software applications and systems
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 4 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.