This role is for a Cloud Operations Engineer who works with our client's Cloud organization to manage, support and maintain secure cloud services with a focus on Operational goals. The role may also include some technical architecture and typically has a heavy cloud automation component. This is engineering work for mid to senior-level engineers.
location: Arlington, Virginia
job type: Contract
salary: $60 - 70 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS WITH A FOCUS ON OPERATIONS
- Configures, and administers cloud computing technologies, infrastructure, and applications to meet the organizations requirements.
- Assists, supports and maintains the deployment, management, and operation of scalable, highly available, and fault-tolerant systems in the cloud.
- Support, maintain and perform as needed the installation, configuration of cloud services.
- Assists, supports and maintains software automation and scripts to orchestrate cloud and virtualization technologies with defined scope, schedule and expectations.
- Views and analyzes summary data on cloud resource deployment and performance to take appropriate action.
- Monitors requests and key metrics for cloud resources, as well as the performance of systems in the cloud and directs remediation.
- Troubleshoots issues and plans for future cloud capacity requirements. Develops roadmap and business case for capacity growth.
- Assists, supports and resolves cloud computing security risks and implements best practices as applied within a cloud environment.
- Provides subject matter expert technical support to customers using Cloud Platform products, solutions and APIs.
- Assists, supports, identifies and documents product bugs and feature requests and works with internal support teams, external providers, as well as customers to implement effective solutions.
- Assists and supports the evaluation of new service offerings from Cloud Service Providers to determine potential usage by GDMS.
- May provide work direction to other employees as a technical lead.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Highly proficient understanding of Azure, AWS and/or Google Cloud Platform.
- Highly proficient understanding of Azure and AWS service offerings.
- Highly proficient understanding of virtualization technologies: Server, Storage, Networking.
- Highly proficient understanding of computer programming languages.
- Highly proficient understanding in scripting languages, and software and infrastructure automation skills.
- Detailed and fully proficient knowledge of technology trends and champions new ideas and product & process improvements.
- Experience in administering systems in a virtualized Cloud environment based on VMware vRealize, vCloud Director, and NSX technologies.
- strong understanding of security, risk and compliance frameworks, disaster recovery, high availability architectures, hardware, operating systems and networking connectivity.
- Experience in creating templates with CloudFormation, and similar technologies.
- Shows initiative on assignments, and professionally executes projects with very little direction, or can provide direction and leadership to technical teams.
- Highly proficient ability to handle significant responsibility, leadership and accountability while executing complex assignments with a focus on Operational support.
Azure Ops Desired Skills:
- Experience with Azure compute and storage services (e.g. Virtual Machines, Managed Disks, AKS, Blob Storage)
- Experience with Virtual Machine endpoint security agents and tools (e.g. Tenable, Trend Micro, FireEye)
- Experience with OS image/VM automation technologies (e.g. SCCM, Packer)
- Experience managing/maintaining fleets of workloads across multiple subscriptions/VNets
- Experience with infrastructure as code scripting (e.g. Azure ARM templates, Terraform)
- Experience scripting/automating using PowerShell, Python, JSON
- Experience migrating enterprise databases from private datacenter to public cloud.
- Experience managing Azure policy in an enterprise.
- Experience with Azure Runbooks, Logic Apps, or DSC.
- Experience with Azure GOVERNMENT specifically.
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
- System Engineer
- Azure (2 years of experience is required)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.