Sr. Middleware Engineer
The successful candidate will be responsible for engineering, administration and support of a large web infrastructure running 300+ web applications and support of a large IBM MQ landscape; 300+ QueueManagers, 10,000 messaging objects in support of 100+ financial applications. The infrastructure landscape includes middleware components including but not limited to Webservers (Apache), AppServers (Tomcat/tcServer, Websphere Application Server), Messaging (IBM WebSphere MQ). They will work closely with Application Development, Network, Security, Unix/Linux, Windows and Mainframe engineering teams. They will provide Level 3 support for issues escalated from Level 1 and Level 2 support teams. They will be proactive in identifying opportunities for improvement in the described infrastructure, particularly in the area of automation. They will be expected to provide technical inputs and solutions to accomplish tasks involving major strategic initiatives. The candidate shall be knowledgeable and forward thinking in order to support the enterprise goal of risk avoidance, stability, resilience and high availability.
location: Charlotte, North Carolina
job type: Contract
salary: $55 - 60 per hour
work hours: 8am to 4pm
- Attending architecture review discussions as web infrastructure SME.
- Expert knowledge on web and middleware technologies (i.e. Apache, Tomcat/tcServer, Websphere Application Server, Java 8+, and IBM WebSphere MQ)
- Establishes and ensures standards compliance, corporate security, policy/procedures
- Exploring the use of new technologies to improve the services the team offers.
- Provides technical expertise for developing detailed project plans and tracks project progress.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and knowledge transfer to junior engineers
- Provide Level Tier 3 technical support and resolutions for issues escalated from Tier 1 & Tier 2.
- Evaluates the organization's existing infrastructure technology and researches and analyzes trends.
- The infrastructure landscape includes middle-ware components including but not limited to Web-servers, Applications and Queue Messaging.
- Implements changes to the infrastructure technology that enhance its reliability and efficiency
- Managing infrastructure incidents to resolution within the required SLA.
- Processing infrastructure requests for service within the SLA.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services, Automation, Containerization, and Orchestration tools a plus
- On call rotation required, some nights and weekend work may be required based upon business needs.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eight years' experience in technical specialty, including three to four years' hardware/software configuration and troubleshooting experience.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working in a large Enterprise Level Environment.
- Provide technical leadership for the engineering, administration, and support of a large web infrastructure running 300+ web applications.
- Must have the ability to build and leverage lasting relationships across our hosting and application development teams, and mentor junior engineering team members to become platform experts
- Expert knowledge of the following product support practices and concepts: infrastructure design , wide range of technologies within specialty, full project delivery life cycle, IT service level agreements, performance monitoring, tuning, and debugging (e.g., GTF traces, and region and transaction dumps), software and peripheral installation, network protocols (e.g., TCP/IP and ACCP), process/product testing and verification, software and/or hardware setup and configuration , computer networking, technical standards and deliverables, system log files, tasks, account management, and commands.
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 8 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
- MIDDLEWARE ENGINEER (8 years of experience is preferred)
- WEBSPHERE ENGINEER (9 years of experience is preferred)
- MQ SYSTEMS ENGINEER
- TOMCAT (8 years of experience is preferred)
- MQ ENGINEER (9 years of experience is preferred)
- Windows (9 years of experience is preferred)
- Oracle JDK
- Websphere Application Server (9 years of experience is preferred)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.