The Business Analyst II position is responsible for the analysis of business processes and their integration with technology. The position works primarily within the systems development life cycle (SDLC) domain in both project and production application support capacities. As a member of a project team, a Business Analyst III will collaborate with business customers on the analysis of specific business needs to deliver functional requirements and other project artifacts to the project team. The BA III will also work with technical staff to determine and document technical/non-functional requirements.
To ensure high-availability of our production applications, the BA II will communicate regularly with application users and IT technical staff to identify, define, and resolve actual and potential production problems. This position may also perform application maintenance duties such as updating system and reference (code) tables.
This position requires someone that is a self-starter, requiring little direct supervision and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities. The position reports to a member of the Application Services management team.
location: Wooster, Ohio
job type: Contract
salary: $35 - 45 per hour
work hours: 8am to 4pm
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- During a project's inception phase, work with business customers to formulate and communicate the business vision, to envision initial requirements, to scope the project, to identify potential areas of automation, and to aid in reengineering the underlying business process
- Work with business customers to identify, model, and then document their requirements and business domain details
- Work with technical staff to determine and document technical/non-functional requirements
- Coach and mentor Business Analysts
- Provide leadership in activities that are dictated by the SDLC, such as requirements reviews, planning meetings, etc.
- Clarify technical and architectural complexities for project stakeholders (i.e. explain what the developers are doing and why they need to do it, including explanations of the basis of schedules and estimates)
- Contribute to user interface design and usability testing using current and industry-standard techniques
- Document acceptance criteria and be a resource to the IT Quality Assurance organization
- Act as a "customer surrogate" for software developers and other IT project team members so that requirements, domain information, and business priorities are provided in a timely fashion
- Assist business customers in the development and execution of end user training materials and plans
- Monitor application and user issues and other constraints that could negatively affect production availability or project delivery
- Test and validate results of production application deployments, and provide formal sign-off for change requests
- Provide business knowledge to validate and facilitate task estimation for new work requests
- Perform updates to system tables (e.g. rate tables) and reference tables (i.e. code or lookup tables) as necessary
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experiences in IT or insurance. Equivalent IT experience includes a minimum of 5 years in software development, quality assurance or IT project management. Equivalent insurance experience includes a minimum of 5 years' experience working in an underwriting, financial reporting/accounting, or claims department.
- Four to six years of work related experience as an IT business analyst including work as a lead BA on two large (minimum 10,000 hours) software development projects
- Two to Three years minimum experience in the Property and Casualty insurance industry
- strong knowledge of software development methodologies, processes and project governance
- Experience with user interface design and user interface usability testing in web browser and Windows environments
- Ability to take direction in a matrix-managed environment while balancing multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to identify data requirements and data relationships within and among business processes.
- Working knowledge of data mining and familiarity with Structured Query Language (SQL) and business intelligence tools (e.g., MicroStrategy, SSAS, Cognos, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to use the full functions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with standard technical terms and the ability to discuss standard technologies at a high level (e.g., mainframe, client-server, network, database, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Property & Casualty
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 3 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
- Business Analysis
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.