job summary: Project Overview:
The Android Partner Engineering team at Google works with partners in the Android device ecosystem to extend the boundaries of the Android platform. The team works in a fast paced technology driven environment and is deeply engaged with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), carriers, chipset manufacturers and original device manufacturers (ODMs) across the globe. Our aim is to ensure devices are secure and up to date and make Android the platform of choice with consumers and enterprise customers.
In this role, you will lead end-to-end research that informs APE product/process strategy and design. You will navigate ambiguity and bring expertise in research practices across all phases of a product/process life-cycle. You understand how to reflect and incorporate business and technical constraints and are effective at cross-functional collaboration. We are looking for a passionate and experienced researcher who is a pro at observing user behavior and distilling insights. You are adept at presenting findings concisely, effectively, and keeping a wide variety of stakeholders engaged. Overall Responsibilities:
- Lead the Android Partner Research effort and manage research on multiple aspects of our partners' engineering user experiences as they work with Google to launch Android powered devices.
- Work with technical solutions consultants, software engineers and product managers to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to conduct research and/or validate concepts.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative user research and collect and analyze behavior.
- Consult on survey design and quantitative research approaches.
- Communicate effectively in a cross-functional team; ability to communicate conceptual ideas effectively.
- BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of experience in an applied research setting.
- Experience with survey based research efforts.
- Interest in general research and/or user research methods.
- Detail oriented and ability to work independently on a variety of tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize time across multiple projects and flexibility adapting to changing schedules and different projects.
- MA/MS or PhD in Anthropology, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Extensive experience leading large survey based research efforts.
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews, contextual field visits and/or usability studies either live or remote (e.g. Userzoom or usertesting.com).
- Demonstrated understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process.
- Familiarity with Android smartphones & tablets.
- Understanding of experimental design and descriptive statistics.
- Some familiarity with scripting or query languages (SQL, R, Perl, etc).
location: Mountain View, California
job type: Contract
salary: $35 - 59 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- Manage and improve the Android Partner Research biannual survey program and administer questionnaires and surveys.
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research; take inputs/requirements from multiple stakeholders across different organizations.
- Analyze and interpret both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Draft findings, recommendations, and reports based on user research and communicate research findings to diverse audiences.
- Experience level:
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.