job summary: Position Description
We follow a simple but vital premise in the User Experience group: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." We're passionately interested in our users and strive to learn everything we can about their goals and needs, attitudes and emotions to help define the products and experiences we create. The User Experience team is a critical driving force behind gathering these insights and then using them to inspire and inform design. We are a multi-disciplinary team of interaction designers, visual designers, user researchers, copywriters and web developers who collaborate closely with each other and with Engineering and Product Management to create innovative, and usable, products that people love to use.
This role is with the Google Fonts team. Our vision is that Google Fonts users will learn about, develop or utilize end-user experiences of world-class type, with Google symbols, and emoji that enhance legibility, accessibility and digital wellbeing. Google Fonts makes it easy to bring personality and performance to your websites and products. Our robust catalog of open-source fonts and icons, makes it easy to integrate expressive type and icons seamlessly-no matter where you are in the world.
You will be focussed on evolving this cross-functional team's understanding and use of expressiveness, beauty and utilitarianism in ways that help users to find, choose and use typefaces and symbol systems. You mainly will be improving users' ability to explore and find the right typography or symbol for what they want to communicate. This will include working with a cross-functional team to develop the information architecture (e.g. card sorting studies) and gathering evaluative feedback on prototype user interactions (e.g. task based usability). Working with the team to co-evolve impactful success metrics based on a mix of observation (instrumentation and usability) and self-report (survey, contextual interviews) approaches. There is a lot of room for you to express your creative approach to research techniques and a passion for enhancing the world's ability to communicate in effective and engaging ways.
You will be expected to
- Conduct qualitative user research, primarily in-lab usability sessions
- User study moderation
- Administer questionnaires and surveys
- Assist other user researchers with various user research preparation activities
- Literature reviews
- Lab setup & management
- Liaise with participant recruiting teams and participant onboarding
- Note taking and data capture
- Highlight-video creation
- Qualitative data analysis/synthesis
- Draft findings, recommendations, and reports based on user research
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written and oral presentations.
- Work with content at many levels (style guides, templates, analytics). Partner with Product, Program Management, UX, UXR, engineering, support operations, legal, PR, and other editorial groups to ensure content consistency and transparency.
- B.A./B.S. (Completed) in Human Factors, Psychology, HCI/Computer Science, or other related fields or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years experience of demonstrable impact on digital products.
- Detail-oriented and ability to work independently on a variety of tasks
- strong oral and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills.
- Can prioritize time between multiple projects, and be flexible by adapting to changing schedules and different projects.
- Knowledge of typography classifications, how type is measured, sized, and organized, and how spacing and alignment affect a design.
- Experience with cognitive processes for Reading, working with Typography, or influencing Design Systems.
- Experience setting-up and tracking and reporting website effectiveness through use of site Analytics and satisfaction metrics
- M.A/M.S./Ph.D. (completed) in Human Factors, Social Sciences, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science, Product Design, or other field
- strong knowledge of experimental design and statistical analysis
- Technical aptitude, familiarity with basic graphic and video editing tools preferred.
- Professional or peer reviewed publications of convincing, trustworthy research.
location: New York, New York
job type: Contract
salary: $45 - 66 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- Closely collaborate with Google Fonts Designers, Product Managers, Engineers and to prioritize and execute research high value research opportunities.
- Plan, Collect and analyze user behaviors using the most appropriate research method for the design challenge which will include literature reviews, heuristic evaluations, usability testing of critical user journeys.
- Produce and effectively communicate insightful findings in multiple different contexts, to cross-functional audiences ranging from from small-group discussions to large-group presentations.
- Make research findings convincing and actionable for both research experts and non-experts in a time-frame to impact designs currently in development.
- Experience level:
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.