Sr. Technical Manager, Storage and Database Engineering
job summary: What you will need:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience. Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Systems a plus. Advance degree a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in the technical platform management inclusive of designing, implementing and supporting platforms in medium to large environments.
- 5+ years of senior management responsibility of overseeing multiple technical teams responsible for platform and system design, implementation and support.
- Proven experience designing, implementation and supporting enterprise-scale infrastructure platforms and ensuring the consistent delivery of reliable and quality systems.
- Is a persuasive and effective communicator with the ability to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and with experience presenting the business side of technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- strong leadership characteristics; demonstrates self-confidence, and is always able to articulate issues.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels of management throughout the organization.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members; demonstrated experience in leading multifunctional teams.
- Ability to instruct team members on the technical structure of the areas supported and ensures ongoing development of the team.
- Managerial skills that empower and develop others; is sensitive to others and fosters teamwork.
- Technical Knowledge of UNIX/Linux Engineering inclusive of the following Hardware and Software Technologies:
- IBM Power Series; AIX and Linux RedHat Administration, PowerHA, IBM PowerVM, Tivoli, UNIX LPARs, IT Security and CyberSecurity, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in Cloud Technologies inclusive of migrating to them
- Technical Knowledge of Storage Engineering inclusive of the following Hardware and Software Technologies:
- SAN and NAS Administration, MetroMirror, Cisco Fiber Channel Administration, IBM SCV, Storage Compression & Encryption, IBM EasyTier, Solid State Storage Technologies (e.g. NetApp Metro cluster), etc.
- Technical Knowledge of Database Administration inclusive of the following Hardware and Software Technologies:
- Database Development and Modeling; Oracle; SQL; Cache; Iris; MS SQL Clustering; Oracle DataGuard, etc.
- Knowledge of Security best practices and vulnerability management.
- Healthcare Information Systems knowledge is a plus.
location: Skokie, Illinois
job type: Permanent
salary: $150,000 - 175,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 4pm
- What you will do:
- Manage a division of 15 FTEs comprised of the following groups:
- UNIX/Linux Engineering
- Storage Engineering
- Database Administration
- The underpinning infrastructure and client foundation for the HealthSystem's Electronic Medical Record (EMR), Epic. This role has technical responsibility inclusive of Server, Storage, Database, etc.
- Ongoing analysis of platform, systems, infrastructure and engineering needs throughout the HealthSystem. This is inclusive of requirements analysis, product evaluations and selection, vendor selection, design, architecture, implementation, product / platform lifecycle and on-going support.
- Planning, implementation, and establishment of operational and maintenance programs to deliver best-in-class platform infrastructure. This includes optimizing all aspects of infrastructure eco-system, including performance, resiliency, availability, resource utilization, disaster recovery, life-cycle, patching and innovation.
- This person will drive implementation of standards and lifecycle processes for their teams
- Working with Technical Lead Direct Reports, drives successful day-to-day operations of the infrastructure engineering staff, enterprise architecture, security, disparate technologies, infrastructure and system design, hardware planning and tracks and reports infrastructure engineering and end user computing metrics.
- Identify and create necessary metrics to recommend improvements across infrastructure platforms and systems.
- Lead and provide oversight for key initiatives such as Cloud Computing and Security Compliance.
- Identifying opportunities to automate and ensuring subsequent implementation across their Division
- Overall accountability for solution delivery for all systems/platforms within their Division
- Works with team of Technical Lead Direct Reports on all project requests, inclusive of the scoping, funding, hardware/software selection and acquisition, financial management, prioritization, implementation, coordination and on-going support and maintenance
- Managing and coordinating all project phases and associated delivery of one or more solutions. The phases include: prototyping (PoC), architecture, design, integration, testing and implementation initiatives.
- This position will focus on the delivery of new solutions as well as major enhancements to existing platforms/systems.
- Develops strategy for his/her division inclusive of technology and corporate initiatives, providing overall direction and guidance to direct reports.
- Defines standard processes for the design, implementation, maintenance, and reporting of platform infrastructure and end user computing to drive continuous improvement and proactively manages critical incidents and problems.
- In conjunction with their managing Director, manages the relationships with all involved vendors, authors Request for Proposals (RFPs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to ensure complete vendor understanding of the required deliverables, timeline, cost, quality, and documentation of the deliverables for RFPs, SOWs, and SLAs.
- Financial planning and management for the division, inclusive of CapEx (Captial) and OpEx costs, for all hardware and software needs of the division, including three-year roadmap projections.
- Is accountable for the development of team members by helping them set and achieve goals for their career growth; fosters an inclusive environment that values differences and creates a sense of belonging and appreciation for team members.
- Complete internal and external audits ranging from adherence to HealthSystem Policy to Desktop Asset Management, PCI, Sarbanes Oxley (SOX), HITRUST and other certifications\compliance requirements.
- Collaborating with application and operational counterparts to ensure advanced planning occurs to meet the needs of the HealthSystem's strategic objectives.
- Advising management on the status of assigned areas and in setting the overall technical strategy.
- Develop strategy and tactics to achieve responsible platforms with 99.999% reliability
- Supporting systems, platforms and infrastructure that require the highest availability (24x7).
- Maintain knowledge and application of policies and procedures that apply to job and area of responsibility.
- Establish working relationships with operational personnel, especially senior department management and clinicians.
- Set and ensure goals and implementation dates are achieved.
- Identify potential problems or barriers for all assigned project teams and communicates to senior management in a timely manner.
- Monitor multiple teams' status and ensure that appropriate project monitoring tasks are implemented and utilized.
- Operate with only limited oversight by senior management.
- Track major issues by team and across project teams to ensure that they are resolved in a timely manner.
- Assist Application project managers/leaders in definition of project scope, identification of alternatives, assembly of estimates, hardware/software requirements, project plans, and allocation of resources.
- Working with assigned Managers, handle personnel issues - including performance evaluations, hiring, disciplinary action and training needs.
The essential functions of this role include:
- working in a smoke free environment
- Experience level: Manager
- Minimum 8 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
- Database Admin
- SQL Server
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.