Our client has an immediate need for a UNIX System Administrator to join their team. The UNIX System Administrator will work with collaborative teams to ensure the company and client technologies are functioning as efficiently as possible. This fully remote opportunity is a 12 month contract with possible extension through the end of 2022.
location: ARLINGTON, Virginia
job type: Contract
salary: $50 - 60 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
The UNIX System Administrator role provides information system solutions, and technical support to the organization and clients. Responsibilities include personal computer and client server support, systems administration of UNIX based physical or virtual servers, applications support, storage support and system security. In this capacity, the successful candidate will:
- Perform administration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Oracle Linux, versions 6/7/8
- Experience with Solaris OS, versions 10 and thru 11.4
- Solid understanding of logical domains, global zones, non-global zones in Solaris, and installation of applications in zones
- Solaris and/or RedHat LDAP
- Troubleshoot problems with UNIX based systems
- Configure, maintain, and troubleshoot physical hardware including Dell, CISCO UCS, Nutanix, and Sun/Oracle servers, both rack mounted and blade.
- Scripting ability in a Unix shell to automate repetitive processes, Ansible good to have
- Work with customers to identify, isolate, and resolve problems with UNIX servers
- Perform administration of virtualized UNIX servers via VMware, vSphere, and VMware vSphere web client.
- Perform analysis and logging of Host Intrusion Detection Systems tools like Splunk alerts
- Monitor system and vendor management performance using tools like Solarwinds
- Perform periodic security patching of servers based on recommended patch sets using RHEL Satellite tools
- Work with security compliance tools on UNIX/Linux OS and support security remediation.
- Solid understanding of how to configure, maintain and validate the UNIX environment so that it is fully compliant to pass cyber security audits
- Demonstrated expertise configuring, managing and troubleshooting variations of DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, Networking
- Expertise with data center level backup systems & software, data storage solutions and legacy data center hardware/software solutions
- Advanced troubleshooting skills within the Unix OS as well as network and storage.
- Proficiency performing administrative tasks using VMware vSphere.
- Ability to work individually or collaboratively as part of a high-performance work team
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Skilled at clear and concise written and verbal communication
- Knowledge and experience in the ITIL service framework a plus
- Familiarity with Solarwinds desired
- Familiarity with Splunk desired
- Familiarity with AWS Cloud support desired
- Familiarity with Azure Cloud support desired
- Familiar with ClearCase
- Familiar with Centrify
Candidates must demonstrate passion for innovation, a sophisticated understanding of technological systems and programming, and the ability to further advance the organization's technology.
The UNIX System Administrator position requires a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science in a related specialized area or the equivalent and eight to ten years of related experience, or a master's degree with five to eight years of related experience
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
- System Admin
- Linux System Admin
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.