job summary: About
Cloud is one of the fastest growing industries in the world and Google is helping define the digital world with the most powerful and efficient network. You will get a chance to work on some of the most exciting and impactful opportunities at Google. Come join an amazing GCP and UX family and help shape the future!
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users' needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products' unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google's philosophy: "Focus on the user and all else will follow."
User Experience Researchers (UXRs) help everyone focus on the user. In this role, you will create understanding and empathy around user needs, stated and unstated, for your entire product team including designers, product managers, and engineers. You will do so by conducting primary research, exploring the behaviors and motivations of our users through methods like field visits, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and logs analysis. Your research will help us create useful, usable, and delightful new products and features for people as well as continually innovating on our existing products. You'll inspire change at all stages of product development by delivering compelling, written, in-person and visual presentations on your findings. Minimum qualifications
- BA/BS degree in Cognitive Science, Education, Human Factors, Psychology, HCI/Computer Science, a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews, contextual field visits, usability studies either live or remote (e.g. Userzoom or usertesting.com).
- 1 year of work experience as a user experience researcher
- Master's degree or PhD in a related field.
- 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience integrating user research into product designs and design practices.
- Working knowledge of statistics and experimental design.
- strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills.
- strong demonstration of driving impact through research.
- Good working knowledge of statistics and the principles of experiment design.
- Superb interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills.
- Ability to collaborate and work across teams is a must.
- B.A./B.S. (Completed) in Human Factors, Psychology, HCI/Computer Science, or other related fields or equivalent practical experience
- 1-3 years of experience in UX research field
- Have conducted qualitative research and specializes in one or more UX research methods.
- Completed or Pursuing M.A/M.S./Ph.D. (completed) in Human Factors, Social Sciences, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science, Product Design, or other field 2-5 years of experience in UX research field Experience with Enterprise research
location: Mountain View, California
job type: Contract
salary: $45 - 66 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- Execute individual research projects from inception to completion with minimal supervision.
- Collaborate effectively with designers, engineers and PMs with the support of the UXR lead to deliver & communicate relevant research findings.
- Understand research methodologies and recommend appropriate research strategy.
- Set research scope appropriately integrated into the broader context of research & product development.
- Deliver research findings that resonate with cross-functional stakeholders to drive product excellence.
- Experience level:
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.