job summary: Infrastructure Network Engineer
Locations: Hampton, VA, USA
Job Description Position Summary:
Under general supervision, performs complex technical tasks in the design, implementation, administration, and maintenance of an enterprise-wide network infrastructure, telephony system, and the associated client-server systems of OPFC. Responsible for the development of network standardization, daily administration and maintenance, implementation and enforcement of security policies, maintaining operational procedures and capacity planning. Responsible for researching technology alternatives and making recommendations for expansion of network components and systems to support changing goals and operational requirements. Responsible for providing escalation support and must be able to work in a team environment. Essential Functions:
- Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of a variety of network and systems hardware, software, and services. This includes Cisco switches, routers, firewalls, Wi-Fi, phone system, intrusion prevention systems, and related security applications.
Position Requirements (Knowledge/Skills/Abilities):
- Plan, design, and implement network infrastructure hardware and components for LAN/WAN connectivity. Responsible for day-to-day management and provides advanced technical support for enterprise networking equipment, phone system, content filters, and WAN circuits. Facilitates the design, installation, and maintenance of the network infrastructure.
- Develops and recommends network contingency and disaster recovery plans; designs and ensures the recoverability of networking systems through proper and adequate backup and recovery methods.
- Creates, maintains, and updates diagrams and documentation of infrastructure components, systems, and procedures. Use network management tools to discover, map, and maintain the network architecture.
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. Analyzes products and recommends use of new products and services to management.
- Monitors networks for suspicious and hostile activity, reviews logs from various security tools and network traffic analyzers, and compiles information/prepares computer security forensic and incident reports based on discovery. Evaluates and measures network performance and effectiveness; utilizes tools to make recommendations on network infrastructure enhancements. Conduct risk and vulnerability assessments of equipment and systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs. Maintain policies and procedures for capacity planning, performance and security.
- Manages assignments and projects to ensure goals are met.
- Supports development of technical standards and application uses.
- Resolves systems and network problems and provides technical assistance to I.T. staff and end users.
- Assists in administration, support, and implementation of server systems including Microsoft Active Directory, VMware, server monitoring, and virus protection.
- Acquires/maintains technical skills as needed to support growing infrastructure and future innovation.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- Performs all work in compliance with applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Comprehensive background in design, installation, and administration of the following: Cisco networking hardware, routing, switching, ASA, Nexus switches, VPNs, VLANs, DMZs, Cisco Voice-Over-IP Technologies (Unity Connections, UCCX, Call Manager).
- Advanced knowledge of networking concepts, TCP/IP, complex core network design, enterprise routing configurations involving EIGRP, OSPF, and BGP. In-depth knowledge of various network protocols and security practices.
- Some Experience with Cisco ISE administration preferred.
- Some experience with Windows server and VMware server administration preferred.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks using project management methodologies.
- Ability to move/transport IT equipment (up to 75lbs).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science, or equivalent experience.
- 6 to 8 years hands on related experience in IT network engineering, troubleshooting, IT support and LAN administration, planning, designing, setting up and managing networks.
- Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP), Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE), or equivalent.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear and occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision requirements for the job include close vision (at 20 inches or less) and the ability to recognize colors. Working Conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is typically indoors and in an office setting. The noise level within the work environment is typically moderate.
location: HAMPTON, Virginia
job type: Permanent
salary: $65,000 - 90,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 4pm
Please see above
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 6 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
- Cisco (6 years of experience is required)
- Network Engineer
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.