Director, Financial Applications is responsible for creating and executing short-term and long-term plans and projects implemented within the Financial Application infrastructure support focus areas of the Finance Department. Responsible to oversee the strategic operations of a group of development teams/functions and for the planning, executing, evaluation, and implementation activities require supporting the organization's business strategies. Ensures that the managers/supervisors and their teams identify and adopt best practice standards and that they ensure that the activities associated with the software development lifecycle including deployment and implementation are completed with each project. This includes but is not limited to project management, business analysis, functional and technical designs and architecture, design reviews, workflow modeling, unit testing, independent verification and validation, build and release engineering, source code management, etc. Participates in strategic planning and decision-making and adopts best practice standards that are in line with the global IS and business strategies. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is expected to support all information technology initiatives that impact or interface with Finance.
- Bachelor's degree in a computer science, information technology or business field; Master's degree preferred.
- Experience working in a healthcare or healthcare insurance environment
- Minimum seven years' experience of a progressively responsible nature in direct or participatory management in the areas outlined in this job description
- Ten or more years of proven technology management experience with a focused responsibility for finance application management and support functions
- Experience with multiple technologies, processes and environments with a proven ability to direct strategy and operations (e.g. service-oriented architectures, highly available, scalable, and secure solutions, client-server, web, mobile, interactive and batch applications, frameworks, and architectures, Java, .NET, and database programming languages, release and configuration management, various development methodologies, etc.)
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Demonstrated results orientation, initiative, attention to detail, and customer service orientation
- An equivalent combination of education and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Information management theory, principles, and practices, large computer systems and networks, personal computers.
* Working knowledge of technology being used internally to implement computer systems.
* Business and administrative principles, practices, methods and techniques.
* Principles of system documentation and programming.
* Experience with the following systems desired but not mandatory: Lawson financial system, EPSI Budget and Decision support, Oracle and ADP payroll.
* Proficient in SQL
* Proficient with Excel
* MS Access, Crystal Report Writing and VBA experience a plus.
* Demonstrated strong analysis, problem resolution, judgment and decision-making skills
* Use, application and operations of application software/systems and equipment utilized within the IT operation.
* Proven negotiation and influencing skills
* Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
* Demonstrated effective leadership and communication skills
* Effectively assist in the forecasting of technology needs for medical center use.
* Use good judgment in administrative and personnel situations/matters and make independent decisions.
* Maintain an effective working relationship with employees, users, leadership and other divisions/departments.
* Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* Effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure
location: Hartford, Connecticut
job type: Permanent
work hours: 8am to 5pm
Responsible for finance-wide application development and support functions.
* Partners with the CFO to develop strategic plans for the application development and support functions and activities in their area of responsibility and executes to that plan. Ensures that the plan is in line with the organization strategies.
* Provides strategic leadership and direction for the application development functions they are responsible for. Continuously challenges the status quo by evaluating the current processes and practices against industry standards both inside and outside of healthcare/healthcare insurance.
* Accountable to manage business and stakeholder relationships within areas of responsibility. Focuses on solutions/strategies that create win-win situations both inside and outside of the IS and Finance organizations.
* Accountable to deliver results for area of responsibility. Regularly communicates with staff and manages projects to ensure timely delivery within budget and according to requirements. This includes goal setting and implementation and problem/issue resolution.
* Oversees the definition of application development architectural standards and best practices (processes, tools, etc.). Ensures that manager/supervisors are compliant with these standards and that the processes are repeatable.
* Develops and recommends for approval application development specific policies and procedures.
* Defines and measures quality and productivity associated with application development and the software development lifecycle.
* Works with the cross-functional management team in providing the oversight of all aspects of the software development lifecycle (e.g. technical architecture designs, release engineering, source code management, test-driven development, hazard and risk analysis of software design, development, defect management, problem management, production readiness, and regulatory compliance.
* Coordinates project initiation, prioritization, and finance information technology resource allocation for staff within this function.
* Provides and/or coordinate consistent organizational training on financial systems
* Attracts, develops and maintains top talent to continually raise the bar on the capabilities and deliverables of the organization.
* Focus is on fiscal year objectives and strategizing outward multiple years to establish and implement short and long-range goals, objectives, policies, processes and operating procedures related to data security, business continuity/disaster recovery, vendor negotiations/contract administration and related information technology services.
* Manages customer relations with finance systems users.
* Establishes work standards and training plans.
* Frequently interacts with, challenges and influences cross-functional executives and key leaders on critical issues and organizational initiatives and represents Financial Application Information Services by working closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization.
* Serves as the financial systems liaison with other medical center departments, outside agencies and contractors.
* Reviews feasibility studies for major finance systems projects and establishes and manages
related milestone planning for department projects.
STRATEGIC PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT:
* Responsible for addressing complex and ambiguous organizational issues beyond immediate needs or where established policies may not be aligned with organizational needs/objectives and establishes and communicates the vision for finance systems role in supporting the Medical Center's mission and
* Participates actively on the Connecticut Children's Leadership Team, contributing ideas, opinions, and participating in group decision-making. Spends time influencing, mentoring and coaching others beyond their departments to improve organizational outcomes; direct responsibility for organizational-wide leadership development.
* Highly involved and key contributor in advising cross-functional executives on key initiatives and issues for both the organizational and functional strategy
* Exercises initiative and latitude in identifying trends, leading edge practices and gaps in the use of finance information technology to support the strategic objectives of the organization. Conducts thorough cost/benefit analysis and makes recommendations for implementation of new or modifications to existing policies/procedures to ensure the highest standards are achieved. Further, makes data driven, calculated risks and makes tough decisions that are in the best interest of the broader organization.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:
* Designs, establishes and maintains a staffing plan that effectively accomplishes the department's goals and objectives and initiates change and leads employees to manage change.
* Participates in and provides oversight to the selection of employees for the department and/or functional liaisons.
* Coaches and develops leaders and employees to improve performance outcomes; direct responsibility for department leadership development to ensure staff is competent in performing their assigned functions and continually improving their performance. Builds a winning culture with a repeatable, process-based approach that recognizes the interdependence of all key stakeholders in the solutions delivery process.
* Communicates expectations, provides ongoing coaching/feedback, objectively assess and/or provides input to employee performance and provide appropriate rewards and recognition.
* Actively seeks opportunities to generate revenue, decrease expenses and develop new organization initiatives.
CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT:
* Ability to develop and implement organization-wide change and improvement initiatives.
* Designs and implements new procedures to improve effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
* Holds self and team members accountable for quality outcomes and continuous quality improvement.
* Expert business and professional knowledge with comprehensive understanding of all facets of the organization and uses knowledge to have a positive impact on broader organization.
* Maintains technical and business knowledge for areas of responsibility and maintains self as a professional expert and resource to the Organization, patients, families and the Community.
* Participate in appropriate professional organizations and continuing education programs. Industry leaders who pioneer change for others to follow.
Will manage individual contributors and/or managers
- Experience level: Director
- Minimum 8 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.