Backend Software Engineer,
The team focuses on creating tools and services that support our community of hosts in the larger ecosystem, with external stakeholders like neighbors, cities, governments, and other public sector institutions. We do this by partnering with those stakeholders to create win-win solutions that support our community and benefit society at large.
The team is developing a regulatory product platform that allows us to offer product solutions to cities around the world that are based on our policy objectives. Instead of exclusively building custom tools for each city, we have embarked on building an industry-first scalable platform which we use to create jurisdiction-specific solutions efficiently. Our long-term goal is to be able to launch a solution in any city with minimal to no engineering effort. You may also contribute to:
- Building a long-term regulatory platform with well-defined APIs that is service-oriented, modular, granular, observable, configurable, and efficient
- Developing an industry-first portal that enables city officials to directly understand the impact on their communities and manage compliance with local regulations, as applicable
- Creating highly-automated, auditable, access-controlled tools for Client compliance managers to address off-platform compliance issues
- Designing intuitive experiences for hosts that make it simple for them to learn about and comply with their local regulations
- Working on important foundational enhancements to our software platform
- 3+ years of full-time work experience in software engineering, information technology, or a related domain
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in Java is required; proficiency in Ruby is a bonus
- Familiarity with popular storage systems such as relational databases, noSQL or caching
- Ability to write high-performance production-quality code
- Knowledge of SOA (service-oriented architecture) design patterns
- Bias for action and ability to operate in an ambiguous environment
- Desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams
location: SAN FRANCISCO, California
job type: Contract
salary: $60 - 88 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
As a Backend Software Engineer on the Cities team, your work will directly contribute to one of the most potent elements of Client's commitment to operate as a 21st-century company by enabling us to partner with the communities we serve for the betterment of those communities. The software systems you build will help cities implement and manage home-sharing regulations at scale around the world, and make it easier for our hosts to know about and comply with those regulations.
You'll work with a team of talented, passionate, mission-driven developers and a diverse set of partners and stakeholders across product, design, data science, policy, operations, and legal disciplines.
Your contributions will focus on our highly strategic engineering efforts of automating the configuration and deployment of our standard suite of regulatory products as well as helping to build out custom solutions for certain cities. These initiatives directly support Client's essential commitment, at scale, to regulatory compliance in the communities we serve.
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 4 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors (required)
- Ruby (4 years of experience is required)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.