This position is primarily based in San Francisco, CA or Mountain View, CA at the Google Fitbit offices. The position is a contract role (Google is not the employer) for an initial duration of 6 months and can be extended up to 1-2 years depending on performance and need. This is a position on Fitbit's Critical User Journeys and Rapid Research team, which runs moderated user sessions on a regular basis to gather input from users to improve the product experience. This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about health and wellness to collaborate with stakeholders and conduct user research to directly improve our mobile app, smartwatches, and trackers.
The area: User Experience, Google
We follow a simple but vital premise in the User Experience group: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." We're passionately interested in our users and strive to learn everything we can about their goals and needs, attitudes and emotions to help define the products and experiences we create. The User Experience team is a critical driving force behind gathering these insights and then using them to inspire and inform design. We are a multi-disciplinary team of interaction designers, visual designers, user researchers, copywriters and web developers who collaborate closely with each other and with Engineering and Product Management to create innovative, and usable, products that people love to use.
The product: Fitbit
Fitbit's diverse line of innovative products (including smartwatches, trackers and our mobile app) help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their health and fitness goals. Our products deliver personalized experiences, insights and guidance through leading software and interactive tools to support our users' health and wellness. As part of Google, Fitbit now has the ability to make health even more accessible to everyone. Top 3 Daily Responsibilities:
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders (e.g. Product, UXD, UXR, UXW) to understand key research questions and scope research studies
- Conduct qualitative user research, primarily moderated sessions (including usability and concept testing)
- Assist other user researchers with various user research preparation activities
- B.A./B.S. (Completed) in Human Factors, Psychology, HCI/Computer Science, or other related fields or equivalent practical experience - 1-3 years of relevant experience - Experience with moderated and unmoderated usability studies and concept testing - Detail-oriented and ability to work independently on a variety of tasks - strong oral and written communication skills. - Effective interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills. - Ability to prioritize time between multiple projects, and be flexible by adapting to changing schedules and different projects. - Ability to work independently on a variety of tasks and work with the team to understand how to answer most important research questions in a constrained time frame. - Great communication skills, collaboration skills, ability to adapt in a quickly changing environment
- Relevant educational or working background in health and wellness M.A/M.S./Ph.D. (completed) in Human Factors, Social Sciences, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science, Product Design, or other field - strong knowledge of experimental design and statistical analysis - Technical aptitude, familiarity with basic graphic and video editing tools preferred. - Experience with additional methods (surveys, literature reviews, benchmarks, diary studies, field research)
location: San Francisco, California
job type: Contract
salary: $40 - 66 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- Writing study plans and scripts
- Lab setup & management
- Liaise with participant recruiting teams and participant onboarding
- Note taking and data capture
- Highlight-video creation
- Qualitative data analysis/synthesis
- Basic user testing analyses
- Draft findings, recommendations, and reports based on user research
- While most of the work currently consists for moderated user sessions, we may also include surveys, literature reviews, and unmoderated studies
- Clearly present and advocate for research findings to diverse audiences through written and oral presentations.
- Assist in our critical user journeys workstream, including workshop preparation and assistance
- Experience level:
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.