Overall responsibility is to: assist the Controller's Department in performing monthly and quarterly financial close procedures; ensuring the accuracy and completeness of internal and external financial reports in compliance with SEC and U.S. GAAP requirements; monitoring and ensuring compliance with internal policies and procedures including SOX 404 internal controls; preparing detailed financial analysis and general ledger query reporting; maintenance of financial records, supporting documentation and account reconciliations; and perform special projects as needed.
The position provides a strong foundation to develop a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the financial close process within a publicly traded company.
location: Oakland, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $90,000 - 110,000 per year
work hours: 8 to 6
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 5 Years
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preparation of account reconciliations, including variance research and resolution;
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly journal entries;
- Develop an in-depth understanding of all accounting functions performed by the Controller's Department;
- Support Matson's Compliance Group with SEC reporting, preparing account variance analyses, Form 10-Q/10-K footnote narratives and other information;
- Provide support with the external financial statement audit, SOX 404 internal control and other regulatory requirements;
- Assist with external statutory audit and reporting requirements related to Matson's domestic and foreign subsidiaries; employee benefit plans; and other requirements;
- Assist in identifying opportunities for improvement;
- Participate in special projects and assignments, as needed.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS/ COMPENENTICES
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP, technical accounting and SOX 404 internal controls;
- Self-motivated, proactive, quick learner with a desire to improve processes and increase efficiencies;
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team in a fast moving environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Highly detail oriented with a critical degree of accuracy regarding data entry and analysis;
- Ability to prioritize work and to perform multiple tasks simultaneously while adhering to deadlines;
- Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance;
- CPA certification (CPA in progress may be considered);
- At least 5 years of overall financial business experience, including recent financial close, financial reporting and consolidation expertise (experience in public accounting firm is a plus);
- Hands-on experience with financial operating and reporting systems (Oracle is preferred).
skills: Account Reconciliation
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.