We have partnered with an industry leading commercial builder in the Greater Denver Area. Summary of Position:
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller manages the full scope of accounting, including financial reporting and analyses, GAAP compliance, tax and regulatory reporting, corporate budget and internal controls and procedures. This role requires a hands-on, action-oriented professional who operates as a key business partner.
location: Denver, Colorado
job type: Permanent
salary: $115,000 - 125,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Master's Degree
experience: 5 Years
responsibilities: Risk Management
Audit and Tax
- Provide direction and support to the project accounting function related to subcontractors and vendors contract compliance.
- Support compliance with prevailing wage and certified payroll.
- Assist in the annual insurance renewal process.
- Maintain a long-term cash forecast.
- Manage the update of annual or project specific settings for payroll, project labor rates, project equipment rental rates and insurance recovery rates etc.
- Provide accounting expertise and support to the prequalification process.
- Make recommendations for improvements in operations, monitoring and analyzing monthly operating results and controlling capital expenditures.
- Collaborate with company's CPA on annual audit and tax returns.
- Coordinate all planning for the annual audit to include preparation of all schedules and internal audits; archiving all work papers.
- Coordinate the preparation of sales/use and property tax returns.
- Manage all external audits such as annual general liability premium audit, workers compensation premium audit, project specific sales/use tax audits, owner/project specific contract audits.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings including the preparation of W-2 and 1099 forms.
- Understand the corporation's strategic intent, its vision and mission and align the department's focus to the corporation's objectives.
- Lead by example; exhibit and hold team accountable to company's values.
- Develop and maintain credible relationships with Surety, Bank, Brokers, Auditors, Subcontractors, Owners and all other external business relationships.
- Consistently promote company image and professionalism.
- Able to communicate effectively and lead others through change and new strategic initiatives.
- Build relationships cross-functionally to foster collaboration across departments and subsidiaries; become a strategic partner with operations leadership.
- Attract and hire talented accounting staff.
- Provide coaching, guidance, and support, set professional development plans to assist employees to reach their full potential.
- Assess ongoing training needs and recommend or provide training to meet those needs to encourage technical and professional skills development to meet the company needs and objectives. Cross-train all processes.
qualifications: Qualifications and Requirements
Accounting, Payroll, Financial Systems, and Controls
- Bachelor of Science - Accounting
- Advanced degree or certifications a plus
- Minimum ten years progressive experience in accounting, financial reporting and analysis, financial standards and controls, and external audit management. Five years' experience in the Construction and/or Engineering industry in a related role required.
- Advanced experience with accounting systems (ERPs) and financial reporting tools; Vista Viewpoint experience a plus.
- Ability to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations.
- Detailed oriented.
- Proven ability to develop strong, trusting relationships with department and organization.
- Collaborative, approachable and accessible.
- Proactive not reactive.
- Maintains the highest standard of ethical conduct.
- Exceptional people and communication skills, with a strong customer service drive and a high degree of integrity, accountability and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to think strategically and to produce results as both a part of a team and as an individual contributor.
- Management of all day-to-day operations of the accounting department up to and including the month and year-end closings processes; ensuring processes with sound internal controls.
- Manage the preparation and payment of all payroll related weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual returns and liabilities and ensure detailed understanding of all payroll related processes.
- Develop a strong working knowledge of the current processes.
- Oversee the fixed asset and equipment accounting processes. Ensure detailed understanding of processes to allow for process improvements.
- Develop and drive necessary financial policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Design, coordinate, document and maintain adequate and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Lead the resolution of technical, reporting, and operational accounting issues within the company.
- Produce timely and accurate financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP, to include the Work-in-Progress schedule.
- Lead system implementations and or process redevelopment across the finance function focused on improving customer experience and achieving the most effective level of operational efficiency.
- Perform account reconciliations and analyses and prepare journal entries.
- Maintain the company's chart of accounts.
- Assist in the financial modeling and analysis to support the development of long-term strategic initiatives and business plans.
- Responsible for ad-hoc internal and external reporting requests.
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual overhead budget.
- Work closely with managers to support the preparation and management of the overhead budgets.
If interested in being considered for this position contact, Lee Morgan, at Lee.Morgan@RandstadUSA.com with your resume.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.