The Payroll Specialist will process multiple bi-weekly payrolls for both exempt and non-exempt employees in a multi-state environment. The payroll volume includes as many as 3,500 employees. Payroll processing includes ancillary payroll tasks including audits, tax payments, G/L reconciliation, garnishments and deductions, adjustments and documenting procedures. Responsible for preparing various reports, maintaining accurate files and accounting records as well as conducting analysis and account reconciliation on a frequent basis. Position reports to AP/PR Manager and is non-exempt from overtime (paid for overtime).
location: Seattle, Washington
job type: Permanent
salary: $50,000 - 58,000 per year
work hours: 8 to 4
education: Associate's degree
experience: 3 Years
- Process multiple bi-weekly payrolls for exempt and non-exempt employees. This is high frequency, time-sensitive work.
- Maintain knowledge of tax rules and regulations that govern payroll administration practices and ensure that payroll-related transactions are processed in compliance with external and internal policies, as well as applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
- Perform General Ledger reconciliation process for all payroll accounts. Generate reports for actuals and accruals. Work with the Finance department on bank reconciliation.
- Manage reconciliation of employee receivables.
- Set up, process, and maintain changes to an employee's voluntary and involuntary deductions such as direct deposits, benefits and garnishments.
- Reconcile and calculate payroll adjustments, issue checks, process manual checks and void checks as needed.
- Assist with filing all required payroll tax reports and processing payments.
- Prepare accounts payable garnishment check requests and 401(k) wire payments as required.
- Assist department managers and staff by answering payroll procedural questions, as well as researching and resolving payroll problems and discrepancies.
- Run and provide post payroll reports for 401(k) and deferred compensation to facilitate reconciliation for proper financial reporting and auditing.
- Process all taxable fringe benefits along with all other year-end entries; review and assist in the distribution of employee W-2s.
- Work with HR department and employees to process replacement payroll checks.
- Work with HR department to collaboratively administer all company attendance and time reporting, benefits and payroll policies.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Prepare supporting schedules for annual audit.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least a two year business degree with an accounting emphasis.
- Minimum of 3 years of heavy payroll processing experience in a multi-state environment.
- Experience handling bonuses, 401(k) and other benefits.
- Must have excellent customer-service orientation and a high degree of professionalism.
- Must be flexible, able to manage multiple tasks, and have strong attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external contacts at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of payroll policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Knowledge of general accounting and accrual principles.
- Experience in month-end close and reconciliation process.
- Strong research and resolution skills, problem solving skills, and data analysis skills.
- Strong documentation, recordkeeping and filing skills.
- Strong proficiency with UltiPro or similar HRIS systems, 10-key data entry and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to prioritize and coordinate workload with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- Ability to handle confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Prompt and reliable attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Qualified candidates must be willing and available to work extended hours as needed.
Qualified candidates please send your resume to email@example.com
skills: 401K, 403B, Benefit Administration, 1099s
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.