This position works with senior management, the various operational business verticals and leads the accounting team to develop, consolidate and report monthly performance, quarterly estimates, performance initiatives, operating plans and related variances for the financial statements.
This position requires full understanding of GAAP and the accounting cycles, excellent technical accounting, quantitative analysis and writing skills, as well as a collaborative, proactive and independently driven approach. The candidate must be able to successfully manage multiple projects in a start-up environment.
The Controller is responsible for technical accounting, reporting and all financial statement areas across a diverse portfolio of industries. Responsible for: revenue recognition, capitalization, financial compliance with regulatory bodies (as applicable), balance sheet classification, inventory, cost accounting, financial disclosure, internal and external controls, and reporting including consolidation, eliminations and assisting with transfer pricing.
This position requires full understanding of GAAP and the accounting cycles, excellent technical accounting, quantitative analysis and writing skills, as well as a collaborative, proactive and independently driven approach. The candidate must be able to successfully manage multiple projects in a start-up environment. As the entities integrate new operations and systems, the Controller will be expected to assist with providing support and best practices.
location: Newport Beach, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $130,000 - 150,000 per year
work hours: 8 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 7 Years
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and monitor key US GAAP accounting rules facing the various operating companies. Ensure all financials are prepared according to GAAP and tax requirements.
- Assist Finance with internal and external reporting. Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls. Serve as an integral team member to assist with budget and financial reporting.
- Collaborate with Senior managers to support Operations with useful operating metrics.
- Analyze financial information and recommend actions to increase KPI's and proforma results. Prepare and maintain supporting documentation, detailed general ledger, financial statements, balance sheet analysis, journal entries, and other supporting schedules and calculations including fixed assets and accruals amongst others.
o Proper inventory and asset capitalization/disposals including fixed assets, depreciation
o TB and GL tie-outs
o Overhead allocations
- Preparation of accurate, thorough and quality financial and operating statements within an established deadline through the month end close process and account reconciliation.
- Monitor and review cash flow to anticipate needs/excess; including timely communications to applicable parties.
o Review and evaluate current and future cash requirements by participating in meetings with internal and external groups and updating management reports.
- Support preparation of forecasts and financial reporting package on a monthly basis
o Perform consolidation across entities, segments
o Prepare Actual vs. Budget analysis on a monthly basis
o Perform trend analysis and perform the monthly close and financial reporting process
o Revise / update forecast process for all segments including Revenue through Adjusted EBITDA including capex, consolidated variances, and give walk through commentary
- Supervise and oversee the Accounts Payable, Receivable, Procurement processes and interface as necessary with Fulfilment
- Coordinate cross-functional projects with multiple stakeholders throughout the Company and affiliates
- Manage and develop Team Member talents and continuously look for ways to improve processes and reporting
- Assist with implementing various strategic finance and operational initiatives
- Ad hoc analysis /projects
- Bachelor of Science with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance
- Big 4 experience or CPA desired
- Master in Accounting desired
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in a diverse set of industries managing staff and complex accounting issues including the entire financial close process
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles required
- Breadth of various accounting ERP systems highly desirable to demonstrate flexibility
- Experience with inventory, e-commerce and payment connections
- Experience documenting procedures, process flows, with related compliance and documentation needed. Must be able to identify operational and financial reporting risk and key control points.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.