Jr. Staff Accountant
A non-profit company located near USC is seeking an entry level Staff Accountant to join their team! This is an immediate opening on a project to hire basis. This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic, non-profit dedicated to healthcare services as they shift their fundraising strategies and expand their operation.
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Manager, the Staff Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day general accounting duties including, but not limited to, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Grants Receivable. The Staff Accountant will also be responsible for providing routine support to key Payroll & Benefits Management and Month-End close-out processes.
location: Los Angeles, California
job type: Contract
salary: $15.08 - 17.08 per hour
work hours: 8 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 1 Years
The Staff Accountant's primary responsibilities are, but not limited to the following:
Accounts Payable :
- Review of Check Request documentation such as: Invoices, Expense Reports, Travel Reimbursement Requests and Credit Card Authorizations Forms.
- Preparation of Check Requests Forms with back-up documentations; obtain necessary approvals for check requests; enter invoices in Quick Books and print checks to pay the corresponding invoices respective to each check request.
- Maintain Vendor and contract/agreement files.
- Review and update (as appropriate) CHC's monthly cost-allocation.
Accounts Receivable :
- Prepare customer invoices, as appropriate.
- Handle cash/checks received from payers, enter payments received in corresponding customer invoices in Quick Books and preparation of deposits slips.
- Maintain files for cash/checks received and supporting documentation i.e.: copies of checks received.
- Maintain files for bank accounts i.e.: Bank Statements, bank-validated deposit slips with supporting details and documentation for the deposits made, Bank Reconciliations.
- Assist in the preparation of both internal and external grant invoices.
- Ensure timely submission of grant invoices and/or draw requests.
- Ensure maintenance of all grant back-up and supporting documentation in accordance with CHC's record retention policy.
- Coordinate with Policy Directors and/or Chief Program Officer, as appropriate, on the status of grant balances and grant expenditures.
Payroll & Benefits Management Support :
- Send out reminder e-mails to all employees to prepare and submit their duly approved time sheets and expense reimbursements requests prior to payroll processing date.
- Review time sheets, cross-check hours reported with vacation and sick leave requests previously submitted; and, expense reimbursements and process bi-monthly payroll.
- Print Payroll Register Prior to Processing and prepare Payroll Reconciliation Summary and review the register and reconciliation with the Finance Manager prior to submission of the payroll to be processed by the contracted payroll services vendor. Coordinate payroll activities with contracted payroll services vendor.
- Prepare bi-monthly payroll and fringe benefit allocation according to Employee Time Allocation Details, recording appropriate Journal Entries.
- Maintain and update Accrued Benefit earned, used and balances-vacation and sick leave hours.
- Maintain Payroll Files for each employee.
- As needed, assist/coordinate with HR Staff in processing employee benefits enrollments and terminations.
- As needed, assist/coordinate with HR Staff in maintenance of employee files.
Month-End Close-Out Support:
- Preparation and Maintenance of monthly Temporarily Restricted Liability accounts, including appropriate Release from Restriction work papers and Journal Entries.
- Preparation of weekly Cash Status Reports.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly cash-flow reports.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly Grant Financial Performance reports.
- Ensure timely filing of all related back-up documentation.
General Finance/Administration Department Support:
- Maintenance of Finance Department electronic filing system on CHC's server.
- Assist the Finance Manager in the monthly, quarterly and annual monitoring and financial reporting of agency funds.
- Assist the Finance Manager in the preparation of materials and documentation for the agency's annual independent audit.
- Custody of Petty Cash Fund-disbursement, replenishment & supporting documentation
- Safekeeping of business credit cards, gift cards, etc. and monitoring accesses for use by designated card holders, gift card distributions, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills Competency
- Must have Bachelor's Degree preferably in Business Administration/Accounting.
- Background in non-profit accounting and 1-3 years of related work experience preferred.
- Highly competent and skilled in the use of Microsoft Office including Outlook and Excel.
- Highly proficient in QuickBooks software.
- Familiar with PayChex payroll processing.
- Knowledge of government and private foundation grant management and reporting a plus.
- Must be focused, detailed oriented and have good judgment.
- Must be highly and systematically organized.
- Must have good financial analytical skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have good interpersonal skills.
- Must be willingness to work additional hours, as necessary.
- Must be capable of giving spontaneous ideas and problem solve whenever required.
- Must be capable of handling difficult situations.
- Must be able to work with diverse staff and clients.
- Must have strong work ethics.
skills: Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Grant Accounting, Month-End Close
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.