The Accountant assists with the processing of all transactions in the A/P and A/R cycle, including vendor payables and event related receivables. Actively participates in month-end and year-end closing reconciliation activities. Provides a high level of customer service to internal and external constituents.
location: Boston, Massachusetts
job type: Permanent
salary: $45,000 - 55,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 3 Years
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: Listed below are core competencies and responsibilities for which the Accountant may be directed to perform or support. However, the Director of Financial Operations may designate various other activities. The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time for any reason, including reasonable accommodation.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE, RECEIVABLE TRANSACTIONAL PROCESSING REVIEWS
· Assists with the processing of all transactions in the A/P and A/R cycle, including vendor payables and event related receivables
· Works closely with department managers, event managers, and customer service to ensure efficient process/document flow, accurate accounting of expenditures, and quick resolution of issues
· Manages 1099 misc. and abandoned property process
CASH & BANK RECONCILIATIONS
- Monitors daily online banking activities, prepares and posts cash transactions to the General Ledger
- Processes all bank statement reconciliations including merchant, operating and escrow accounts
- Execute cash transactions as directed by the CFO; this includes internal transfers, wire transfers, ACH payments, short-term investments
MONTH-END & YEAR-END CLOSING & REPORTING
- Works closely with the Director of Financial Operations to ensure proper month-end cut-off of revenues and expenditures and with year-end audit and financials
- Processes and reconcile fixed assets monthly; analyzing transaction for capitalization policy
- Oversees and reviews monthly accrual and transaction journals and reconciles A/P and A/R accounts to the General Ledger
PAYROLL AND BENEFITS PROCESSING
- Works closely with the Director of Financial Operations and the Payroll Supervisor to perform necessary steps to ensure proper processing of weekly payroll cycle
- Processes and reconciles payroll, payroll taxes and benefits expenses and payments transactions, whether independently or at the direction of Director of Financial Operations and the Payroll Supervisor
- Supports weekly, monthly and annual tax compliance procedures, including annual W-2 reporting
- Works with the Chief Financial Officers, Controller and Director of Financial Operations to process payment and related transactions to the company's retirement liability trusts
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Expected to work independently, with moderate day-to-day supervision. Goal setting, management oversight and performance evaluation will be provided by the Director of Financial Operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· 3+ years' experience in an accounting department
· B.S. in Accounting preferred
· Professional certifications in A/P, A/R or payroll processing are preferred
· Strong working knowledge of A/P, A/R and payroll functions
· Strong work ethic and ability to work collaboratively and professionally with colleagues
· Proven ability to multi-task and manage work in order to meet deadlines
· Strong attention to detail and ability to exercise discretion in dealing with confidential matters
· Excellent verbal, written, and telephonic communication skills
· Excellent computer skills; Proficient with MS Excel and Word
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK SCHEDULE: The work schedule for this position typically involves whatever hours are necessary to complete the job. Typically Monday through Friday, however; the hours and days may fluctuate based upon the needs of a particular event or project.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.