The HR Specialist will interact with all exempt and non-exempt staff for the Company with regard to Payroll and Human Resources related issues. This individual must be able to work in a fast-paced environment. They must intuitively and instinctively handle issues and answers for the staff without jeopardizing the integrity or basic directives of the management staff; and subsequently for the corporation. The HR Specialist will assist in: recruiting, on-boarding/off-boarding, employee relations, compensation, benefits, training resources and materials, recruiting and employee services. The HR Specialist must be well-versed in California labor law and employment practices. This position will be based in the East Bay and will support employees in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chino. This position will report to the Regional HR Manager - West Coast.
location: Union City, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $55,000 - 60,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 2 Years
- Keep the Human Resources management team, (and the officers - when pertinent) abreast of current issues, problems and concerns of the employees. Assist the Human Resources Management team in making decisions about maintaining confidentiality, determining if it should be broken if it is absolutely necessary to breach it to ensure ongoing communication between the employee(s) and the Company.
- Assists with the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
- Studies legislation and employer/employee relations reports to assess industry trends.
- Screen resumes and coordinate candidate interview schedules with hiring manager
- Work with local temp agencies in filling vacancies; run and send weekly temp timecard reports.
- Responsible for tracking the receipt of benefits, garnishments, IRS levies, and child support payments in a timely manner and save into employee file and ADP Workforce Now.
- Monitor timecards and work with department managers to update as necessary.
- Prepare new hires with on-boarding requirements and assist employees with new hire documentation.
- Process all new hire paperwork with attention to accuracy and detail.
- Prepare monthly new hire/termination reports.
- Prepare all candidate internal hire paperwork and schedule orientation and establish personnel files
- Makes sure that the workspace, computer and other equipment are ready for the new employee's start day.
- Provide expert timely, accurate and friendly assistance to employees via phone and email regarding HR, employee benefits, and payroll issues such as basic HR policy questions, general benefits questions, claim issues, new hire onboarding, payroll questions, how to navigate HRIS, etc.
- Records new or changed pay rates in payroll register or computer files.
- Reviews payroll to ensure accuracy, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Other HR-related duties as necessary
- Conducts duties in accordance with Company's Quality system.
- Comply with Company's C-TPAT Security Profile
- Bachelor's degree in HRM or related education.
- 2-4 years of HR experience.
- Experience in the transportation or logistics industry is preferable.
- Experience with benefit enrollment.
- Expertise in California labor law and employment practices, including, but not limited to:
- Employment classification (employee/contractor, exempt/non-exempt)
- Meal and rest periods
- Premium pay and overtime
- Pay plans- commission, bonus
- Paid city- state and city
- Vacation, PTO
- Compliance training and CalOSHA regs
- CA LoA
If you have the qualifications to take this organization to the next level, or know of someone, please respond to this post directly for a confidential conversation and resume review.
skills: Human Resources
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.