Retail management organization that provides management services to the renowned Harborside Health Center medical cannabis dispensaries and building cultivation operations for vertical integration under CA state law, is currently in the market for a Direct Hire Staff Accountant.
The Staff Accountant partners with the Finance and Accounting Team to report timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reporting for multiple entities. This position plays a significant role in the monthly close, annual financial audit, periodic/ad-hoc financial planning and analysis, and special projects.
location: Oakland, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $70,000 - 80,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 4 Years
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list is not intended to be all inclusive) Financial Close Process
- Train Accounting staff to prepare the Monthly Financial Statement Close of the Harborside Dispensaries
- Lead month-end close process to establish an accountable timeline, monitor adherence and resolve non-compliance through escalation as necessary.
- Perform journal entries and account reconciliation in accordance with GAAP.
- Ensure intercompany due to/from accounts are in balance.
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Research and resolve discrepancies. Ensure all balance sheets accounts are fully supported with documentation.
- Prepare a flash report for preliminary analysis of significant variances at week and month-end.
- Perform consolidation and prepare financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Responsible for budget to actual reporting and analysis on final results at consolidated, cost center, and sub-cost center levels.
- Compile consolidated and subsidiary financial packages for distribution.
- Prepare the quarterly financial reports for consolidated financial package and any other ad-hoc reports. Heavy focus on margin and SG&A analysis and reporting.
Financial Planning Process
- Create and maintain reports in ERP/Excel/other application as required.
Year-End Financial Audit
- Assist with the annual Enterprise wide and departmental budgeting process.
- Play a focal role in the successful completion of the annual financial audit in accordance with GAAP and department objectives.
- Assist external auditor with previous and following year Financial Statement Audit For multiple entities
- Coordinate and ensure timely and accurate completion of audit process/activities with the accounting teams.
- Complete Sales Tax Audit for Harborside dispensaries
- File Harborside dispensary Sales Tax Returns
- Work with tax preparer to file the previous year's Corporate Income Tax Returns
- Ensure the completion of specific audit related tasks such as updating the internal control narratives and relevant memos to support technical accounting guidance analysis.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: General Accounting
- Work with the dispensaries Cash Management Teams to help manage cash disbursements to inventory vendors, managed within the Xero Accounting software
- Define and map out essential duties within inventory receiving, purchasing, and accounts payable
- Prepare and maintain Harborside dispensary/ location rental amortization schedules.
- Reconcile Bank Accounts Weekly.
- Preparing financial reports for Management
- Analyze and record biweekly payroll journal entries and accruals at month-end.
- Review journal entries and coding of Junior Accountant/AP Manager to ensure accuracy.
- Review treatment of accounting transactions.
- Research and interpret technical guidance as necessary in order to report financial statements in accordance to financial standards.
- Liaise and engage with internal team members and cross functional teams as necessary in consultation with management to achieve department objectives.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Understanding the effective management of process flow, especially month-end close
- Solid knowledge of US GAAP; able to research and apply Accounting pronouncements
- Knowledgeable about relevant accounting software: (Treez, Xero, Microsoft Excel)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to interface with all levels of management and Directors.
- Ability to function as a team player.
- Ability to work with and meet scheduled deadlines.
- Essential computer operating skills.
- Expert software knowledge of QuickBooks and MS Excel.
- Intermediate software knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Strong ability to communicate quantitative analysis and financial data.
GENERAL PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Provide excellent service
- Present a professional image in appearance, actions and words
- Demonstrate ownership, accountability, initiative and quality of work
- Build positive team relationships throughout your department and the company
- Follow all safety policies
- Understand and practice FLRish values
- Demonstrate ethical behavior
Work Context: Physical Requirements
- Work is generally performed seated and requires some bending, stooping and reaching.
- Work is generally performed in an office type setting, or over the phone
- Frequent contact with others via email, face-to-face discussions, and telephone.
- Some communication required via mail and fax
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or equivalent to
- 4-8 years of progressively responsible corporate/financial accounting and reporting experience (preferably a mix of public accounting and private industry experience)
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process.
- Significant experience with allocations of shared costs.
- Experience in a cannabis dispensary or legal adult-use retail store a plus but not required.
- Experience with Treez, POS system a plus but not required.
- Must be 21+ years old and pass a criminal background check
Certifications or Licenses Required:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
skills: $0-50 million
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.