We are working with a powerhouse international law firm who is searching for a Billing Coordinator or Senior Legal Biller! Their clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. This is a great opportunity with a renowned firm with excellent career path!
location: Chicago, Illinois
job type: Permanent
salary: $50,000 - 90,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 2 Years
responsibilities: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Administration of attorney billing responsibilities, including:
- Perform client billing and collection activities for assigned clients in a timely manner.
- Monitor aging of unbilled fees for assigned partners and/or clients.
- Monitor and manage outstanding accounts receivable, unapplied funds and collection efforts.
- Meet with Billing Manager, Billing Coordinators, and/or partners to discuss monthly billing, outstanding invoices and strategy for collections.
- As requested, handle complex billing and client driven requests.
- Generate Proformas for each assigned partner at the beginning of each month, after the time entry deadline.
- Prepare billing packages for each assigned partner (i.e. draft cover letters, invoices, etc.).
- Review Proformas for misallocated time and ensure time entries are in accordance with client policy.
- Communicate new/changes in client policies to timekeepers.
- Edit draft invoices based on partners' mark-up, including:
- Write-offs, in accordance with firm policies/procedures.
- Time/cost transfers; investigate appropriateness of where entries should be billed.
- Time entry narrative changes with respect to additions, corrections, deletions.
- Verify client specific rate accommodations and if necessary, apply approved discounts to the face of the invoices; keep track of volume discounts based on thresholds reached.
- Pull back-up of costs to include with final invoices based on a client's billing requirements.
- Generate billing variance reports and write-off reports; acquire appropriate write-off approvals based on write-off amount thresholds.
- Prepare electronic invoices using LEDES files; submit electronic invoices to clients via their designated electronic billing system and verify successful submissions.
- Establish working relationships with e-billing site vendors; make certain all timekeepers and rates are up-to-date on the sites; submit timekeepers and rates for approval as needed.
- Ensure three way communications between e-billing site, client and the Firm (as the e-billing site processes invoices based on the Clients' Outside Counsel Billing Guidelines).
- Track status of bills submitted, identify issues, and work to address rejections and reductions as they arise.
- Monitor payment of assigned clients' accounts receivable and coordinate collection efforts.
- Proactive follow-up with the Billing Manager, Billing Coordinators, partners, and clients.
- Collaborate with Billing and Collection Committee members and/or Financial Managers to coordinate billing and collection efforts.
- Provide assistance to partners and clients regarding outstanding and/or short paid invoices.
- Maintain/enter status updates in Firm's collection database.
- Communicate situations as they arise that may require follow-up, such as rate issues, delays in billing, difficult requests, etc.
qualifications: Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business. 1+ years of previous billing experience in a law firm of professional services company is required.
- Perform all job duties with a commitment to providing superior service to clients and attorneys while producing a high quality work product. The ability to multitask and prioritize is essential.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills in order to work effectively within a team environment, as well as independently. The ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced, highly demanding environment is required. Additional requirements include outstanding customer service demeanor and flexibility for possible overtime hours.
- Opportunities to expand responsibilities and progress within the Billing Services function are available for individuals based on strong performance and the desire to grow.
- MS Office with emphasis on Word and Excel
- Elite 3E
- Electronic Billing Systems
Interested in learning more? Please reach out to Bridget Janso at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
skills: Legal Billing
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.