Senior Accountant - Tax & Accounting
Currently working with a mid-size established mid-size public company with an excellent corporate culture and environment that is looking for a Senior Accountant - Tax & Accounting to help handle tax provision, compliance, and other tax projects as well as help with some financial reporting functions. Excellent opportunity for learning for a tax professional who wants to explore other areas and grow over time within the company within tax and/or other functions. Company has a great track record for development and promotion within the company. Qualified candidates will have 3-5 years of public accounting within tax or 3-5+ years industry experience within tax. Provision experience is required.
location: Oakland, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $90,000 - 110,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 4 Years
Senior Accountant - Tax & Accounting POSITION SUMMARY
The Senior Accountant will be a key contributor to the Finance Team and provide critical support in the tax and reporting functions. Tax responsibilities will include preparation of annual and interim income tax provisions and managing the review and filing of the income and premium tax returns. Reporting responsibilities will include preparation of external filings and various accounting analyses. The Senior Accountant will work closely with all members of the Finance Team and will collaborate with colleagues across the organization, as well as with third party consultants, and assist in the ongoing development of the company's overall tax and reporting functions. Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare annual and interim income tax provisions and footnotes in accordance with U.S. general accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Guide the preparation and review of income and premium tax returns managing the process by coordinating with our third party consultants.
- Preparation and review of all other state and local tax filings.
- Maintain the tax calendar ensuring that all tax filing requirements are met.
- Respond to tax notices and provide support in connection with tax audits.
- Prepare and analyze monthly reconciliations and participate in various aspects of the monthly financial close process.
- Support preparation of financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP and reporting requirements and company policies.
- Assist in the preparation of tax components of the annual and quarterly reports (10K, 10Q), including footnotes to financial statements and management's discussion and analysis.
- Prepare key components of the audited statutory statements, audited GAAP statements as well as various state filings.
- Assist in the development and execution of policies and procedures. Provide oversight and support in connection with SOX 404.
- Remain current with tax laws, accounting publications, pronouncements, and rules and present findings and analysis to management.
- Perform other ad hoc projects.
qualifications: Skills & knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- CPA and/or MS in Tax preferred.
- Minimum of three years of related experience.
- Previous tax experience with a public accounting firm a plus.
- Annual and interim income tax provision experience preferred.
- Understanding of GAAP preferred and of SAP a plus.
- Proficiency in key productivity tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with tax and accounting research tools (BNA, DART)
- Experience with Workiva/Webfilings a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High attention to detail and strong analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and deliver on tight deadlines.
- Maintains confidentiality of information and uses information appropriately.
skills: Tax Provision
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.