job summary: Overall Responsibility
To reduce work related injuries by continuously improving the safety management system and leading cultural change by demonstrating exceptional leadership and engaging employees on all levels. REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelors degree in an appropriate field of study with five (5) to seven (7) years experience in a safety related field. In the absence of a four (4) year degree in an appropriate field of study, this position requires an additional eight (5) years of related experience and the appropriate safety certifications in regulatory, management systems and training programs.
location: Largo, Florida
job type: Contract
salary: $25 - 35 per hour
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 5 Years
responsibilities: Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Evaluating the safety management system for its effectiveness and maintaining documented continuous improvement plans to improve performance.
- Engaging and directing the leadership staff in their safety roles and responsibilities. Effectively communicating what the safety responsibilities are for their direct reports and how their activities impact safety performance.
- Engaging the entire work force both salary and hourly to drive cultural change and accomplishing safety performance objectives and targets.
- Insuring compliance with all federal, state and local regulatory requirements and Company Building Efficiency corporate safety systems, and acting as the lead contact with regulatory agencies.
- Performing job hazard analysis and ergonomic risk assessments and creating action plans to reduce risk.
- Performing incident investigations using an 8D (disciplined) process, with the focus on root cause, corrective and preventive actions and verification.
- Providing effective training for all safety programs including but not limited to Lockout/tagout, machine guarding, fall protection, powered industrial vehicle, hazard communication, personal protective equipment, electrical safety, confined space, respiratory protection and walking and working surfaces.
- Developing and implementing motivational and incentive programs that promote a high degree of safety awareness and enthusiasm.
- Establishing safety performance metrics, both leading and lagging indicators.
- Insuring that behavior based observation programs are effectively implemented.
- Performing or insuring compliance with industrial hygiene testing and other requirements.
- Reviewing planned changes and new equipment prior to receipt. Approves or recommends changes in manufacturing engineering matters of plant layout, location/relocation of machinery, equipment, facilities, safety designs, and processes.
- Insures that the safety committee is comprised of both management and hourly participants. Actively participates and insures that the committee is effective and value added.
- Managing workers compensation and reducing costs by working closely with insurance carriers and state authorities, along with in-house supervisors and managers. Works each claim from the accident report to return of the worker for modified duty and ultimately to claim closure.
- Managing property risk by insuring compliance with FM Global assessments and routinely touring the property and conducting inspections to insure compliance.
- Managing department personnel including local medical staff if applicable.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) as well as Internet software and E-mail is required. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds.
skills: $1 - 2 billion
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.