job summary: SUMMARY
An non-profit environmental protection organization, with offices in DC, is actively seeking a Legal Assistant to join its national legal team. This individual will assist the Environmental Legal Program (ELP), and will provide litigation support to advance ELP campaigns, conduct legal and factual research, and manage daily administrative legal functions.
location: Oakland, California
job type: Contract
salary: $22 - 30 per hour
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Associate's degree
experience: 1 Years
- Collaborates with attorneys, paralegals, and other ELP staff to complete the critical, precise tasks of litigation, including editing, formatting and otherwise preparing legal documents, communicating with court clerks, and filing and serving documents properly and on time.
- Interviews potential standing declarants and drafts standing declarations under the supervision of attorneys.
- Drafts and submits Freedom of Information Act and Public Record Act requests under the supervision of attorneys.
- Monitors and reports all relevant public information regarding permitting, public notices, and media relating to current and potential legal actions relating to coal plants and other priority targets of Organization campaigns.
- Conducts miscellaneous research and prepares reports in support of Organization campaigns.
- Tracks and records the status of litigation, rulemakings, etc. to enable access to legal and technical resources by the network of attorneys and allied organizations collaborating on Organization campaigns.
- Performs a range of administrative and clerical duties which include scheduling, invoice processing, reimbursements, travel logistics, copying, collating, faxing, supply ordering, filing, event planning and organizing for ELP, mail pickup, and managing various spreadsheets for general program information.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines.
- Computer skills: Experience with Microsoft Office (including strong familiarity with Excel and Word). Familiarity with G-suite plus general computer literacy and solid internet research skills required.
- Solid research, writing, oral communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to do precise, careful work needed for courtroom filings, attorney admissions, and correspondence with courts, external parties, etc.
- Ability to work successfully in teams and under own initiative, to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and to make timely decisions.
- Knowledge of energy and climate data sources and familiarity with government climate/energy policy and litigation procedures are a plus.
skills: Litigation support
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.