If you are using a skills-based resume format or do not have a lot of relevant work experience, you should consider adding a job skills section to your resume. This skills section of your resume will usually include a listing of your relevant qualifications, both to focus attention on your capabilities and reduce attention away from any lack of ground-level experience in your industry. Make sure to focus on relevant skills; do not haphazardly list things that your employer cannot utilize on day one. This may require some research into industry standards, especially if you are looking into employment in the tech industry. The job skills section of your resume is optional for reverse-chronological resumes; however, it might be useful to include if the position for which you are applying requires a lot of specific expertise.
job skills section.
- Put your job skills section directly below your career highlights area.
- Use the same header sizing and font as for your other major sections.
- Title this section Job Skills or Technical Skills, depending on the position for which you are applying.
- If you have relevant skills in a number of different disciplines, separate them by category. Your employer will be able to more easily discern your true skill set from these categories.
- This section should take up less space than a paragraph on your resume. Try to limit your skills to five or six bullets or categories.
examples of job skills
for various fields.
- Financial Software: Oracle, Quicken, Excel
- Operating Systems: Linux, Unix, iOS X, Windows NT
- Database Systems: MySQL, Ingres, SQL Server
- Machinery: Forklift operation and repairs
keywords in your
job skills section.
Step 6: professional experience
- Like most sections of your resume, using keywords in your job skills area is a must.
- Remember, computer programs and recruiters will scan your resume for these relevant words and phrases.
- Look through the job posting and research current industry standards to determine which buzzwords and phrases you should include.
- Since this section includes bullets, you don’t need to worry about working them into a sentence.