The professional experience section of your resume is where you’ll list your work know-how and accomplishments. Your goal is to show a hiring manager exactly how your achievements will translate to success in the position for which you are applying. You will include a professional experience section in both a skills-based and reverse-chronological resume that will look similar, but the order of your experience may differ depending on your format.
formatting your professional experience.
- If you are using a skills-based resume, this section will generally come immediately after your job skills, unless there is a specific reason to include it higher.
- If you are using a reverse-chronological resume, this section should come immediately after your career highlights, unless you also include a job skills section.
- If you are looking to limit your resume to a single page, you should aim to keep this section no longer than half a page. There will be exceptions if you have extensive experience or are applying for skill-specific or executive positions.
- Use three or four bullet points for each previous job, and be sure to list the same number of bullets for each position.
- For reverse-chronological resumes, start with your most recent employment and work backward.
- For skills-based resumes, start with the most relevant roles first.
writing your professional experience.
- Title this section Professional Experience.
- List the name of the company, your title and employment dates (month and year) for each of your previous positions. If you are currently employed, the write the month and year you started, followed by a hyphen and the word PRESENT.
- Use present tense for your current role and past tense for previous roles.
- Focus on specific numeric figures and goals you have met or exceeded rather than general accomplishments.
- Include keywords!
professional experience example.
- Led 30 person team to correlate design approaches to feasibility of implementation.
- Designed and implemented key processes to decrease search time by 15%.
- Developed at least four software patches per quarter based on real-time consumer feedback.
- Utilized C++ to deploy an internal accounting compliance algorithm across Southeastern region locations.
Rein in your resume writing stress. Whether you need revisions or a rework, Monster's Resume Writing Service experts will make your resume shine.
Step 7: education and training