With the onset of the global pandemic, the world’s largest eye care device manufacturer faced a dilemma common to organizations everywhere: How do you effectively onboard new hires when social distancing protocols are in place? For the Texas-based company, COVID-19 had almost immediately cut onboarding capacity by 70 percent, limiting the number of new employees who could start at any given time — and putting plant productivity in jeopardy. Before the risk of customer orders not being filled on time became a reality, the client reached out to Randstad for support.
Randstad’s workforce management experts immediately went to work reviewing the client’s onboarding processes, breaking them down by stages and putting virtual alternatives in place. All told, we took a four-step approach comprising the following stages:
- leveraging proprietary state-of-the-art technology — Randstad’s AI platform — to quickly and effectively find, screen and automatically schedule interviews with qualified candidates
- adopting digital platforms to pivot all job interviews to the new, all-virtual format
- working consultatively with the client to roll out an advanced virtual training and development curriculum that supported remote onboarding for new hires
- strategically staggering new-hire start dates to ensure employee health and safety
Randstad’s robust solution proved to be the right medicine for this healthcare organization, a timely intervention that not only ensured business continuity for the client, but helped avert pressing productivity challenges as well. Highlights of the engagement included:
- increasing weekly onboarding capacity by orders of magnitude: from 12 to 40
- growing weekly net headcount from eight to 34
- measurably improving new hires’ satisfaction with the overall onboarding process from 3.8 to 4.1 on a five-point scale
- critically enhancing the client’s daily productivity
- productivity improvements resulted in an approximate savings of $9,929.36 per week in labor cost per unit, or $129,081.68 per quarter
In light of outcomes like these, it’s easy to see why so many leading companies trust Randstad to deliver in times of need. Get in touch with us to find out for yourself today.